City Morgue in October 2018. Zillakami (left) and Sosmula (right)
|Also known as|
|Origin||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Labels||Hikari Ultra, Republic|
City Morgue is an American hip hop group from New York, best known for their controversial music videos depicting the heavy use of narcotics, violence, weaponry (mainly firearms), and nudity. The members consist of ZillaKami from Bay Shore, SosMula from Harlem, and Thraxx from California as the producer. They have received attention from Pigeons and Planes, No Jumper, Mass Appeal, and artists from both the mainstream and underground scene. Their debut studio album Hell Or High Water, Vol. 1 released on 12 October 2018.
Prior to the formation of City Morgue in 2017, Junius Rogers, professionally known as ZillaKami, worked extensively with Tekashi 6ix9ine in the underground hip-hop scene in New York City, in which Rogers had ghostwritten many of 6ix9ine’s early songs. His other collaborator was his older half-brother Peter Rogers, known professionally as RighteousP, the CEO of music label Hikari-Ultra. The brothers had a falling out with 6ix9ine after he refused to pay back money owed and ripped instrumentals from the group. In response, ZillaKami and other detractors publicly circulated information about 6ix9ine's child sex abuse charges.
ZillaKami had met Vinicius Sosa, known professionally as SosMula, on his first day out of jail, and started creating songs some time after meeting with record producer Bouabdallah Sami Nehari, known professionally as Thraxx. Together, the trio had made many projects since then under their names, such as the tracks with visuals Shinners 13, 33rd Blakk Glass, and Sk8 Head, numerous singles, and an album City Morgue Vol 1: Hell or High Water.
ZillaKami was also featured on Denzel Curry's 2018 single "Vengeance" from his album Ta13oo. Denzel Curry featured City Morgue on the Ta13oo tour, due to the similarities in musical style pointed out by Denzel Curry and the pair. They have also appeared on songs with $ubjectz, Cameronazi, and others.
On 19 November 2018 City Morgue sold out their first headline show in New York City at Saint Vitus Bar located in Brooklyn.
- City Morgue Vol 1: Hell or High Water (2018)
- Be Patient. (2018)
- Kokayi, Kasamba. "Denzel Curry and City Morgue at The Orpheum". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- Zagaglia, Riccardo. "Migliori album 2018. La classifica di Riccardo Zagaglia". Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- No Jumper (8 July 2018). "The ZillaKami & SosMula Interview". YouTube. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Knopper, Steve. "A Hip-Hop Signing Frenzy Sends New Record Deal Prices Soaring". Billboard. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Moore, Jacob (14 December 2017). "New York Rapper Zillakami is Taking Hip-Hop to Brutal New Extremes". Pigeons and Planes. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Mass Appeal (11 October 2018). "The Way Out: City Morgue (ZillaKami x SosMula) Documentary". YouTube. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Møtion, Noah (13 October 2018). "City Morgue Vol 1: Hell or High Water"". All Metal Everything. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- Preezy (15 August 2018). "Here's a Rundown of Every Public Beef Involving 6ix9ine". XXL. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "TA13OO by Denzel Curry". Apple Music. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Kokayi, Kasamba. "Denzel Curry and City Morgue at The Orpheum". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- Møtion, Noah (2018-11-27). "City Morgue in Brooklyn: Punk is Alive". All Metal Everything. Retrieved 2018-12-05.