City National Plaza
|City National Plaza|
Paul Hastings and City National Towers
|Alternative names||ARCO Center
ARCO Plaza North Tower
ARCO Plaza South Tower
Atlantic Richfield Towers
Bank of America Tower
Los Angeles Twin Towers
|Location||505-555 South Flower Street
Los Angeles, California
|Roof||213.3 m (700 ft)|
|Floor area||206,000 m2 (2,220,000 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Albert C. Martin & Associates|
The present complex is on the site of the landmark Richfield Tower, that was designed in the Art Deco style by Morgan, Walls & Clements, and completed in 1929. It was the headquarters of the Atlantic Richfield Oil company. It was demolished in 1969.
The current skyscraper complex was built as the ARCO Plaza, with a pair of 213.3 m (700 ft) 52-story office towers. One became the new world headquarters for the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO), the present day The Paul Hastings Tower. An underground shopping complex was accessed by open escalators from the street level plaza.
Upon completion in 1972, the ARCO Plaza towers were the tallest buildings in the city for one year before being overtaken by Aon Center, and were the tallest twin towers in the world until the completion of the World Trade Center in New York City. The towers are the tallest twin buildings in the United States outside of New York City, where the 55-floor Time Warner Center stands at 750 ft (230 m).
The towers are constructed of steel frames covered with polished panels of forest green granite and panes of bronze glass, however, in 2016, the exterior of the top two floors and the service roof of The Paul Hastings Tower were modified on the north, east, and south flanks to house their upgraded headquarters and offices. This modification features silver trim and panes of light green glass panels.
City National Plaza
The ARCO Plaza complex was renamed City National Plaza, and the south and north towers, respectively, were renamed City National Tower and Paul Hastings Tower. The low-rise building at the back of the plaza is known as the Jewel Box, and is occupied by the Gensler architectural firm.
Paul Hastings Tower
- Crowell & Moring
- RSM US
- Grant Thornton
- Northwestern Mutual - Los Angeles
- Paul Hastings
City National Bank Tower
- City National Bank
- Foley & Lardner 
- Fulbright & Jaworski 
- Jones Day 
- Katten Muchin Rosenman 
- Kroll 
- Rottet Studio 
- Squire Patton Boggs
- Turner Construction 
In popular culture
- Featured throughout the 1971 movie The Omega Man (which was filmed during the Plaza's construction phase) in various stages of completion.
- Plaza area and water sculpture featured in the 1976 film, Marathon Man.
- The north "Paul Hastings" tower was depicted as being struck by an air-to-air Sidewinder missile (a shot which utilized a detailed miniature of both towers), in the 1983 film, Blue Thunder.
- In the 2015 film San Andreas, the twin towers were shown swaying violently during an earthquake and in a later shot, the Paul Hastings tower was shown falling on the City National Tower.
|City National Plaza Twin Towers|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
City National Plaza.
- "Paul Hastings Tower". CTBUH Skyscraper Database.
- "City National Tower". CTBUH Skyscraper Database.
- City National Plaza at Emporis
- City National Tower at Glass Steel and Stone
- Paul Hastings Tower at Glass Steel and Stone
- "City National Tower". SkyscraperPage.
- "Paul Hastings Tower". SkyscraperPage.
- City National Plaza at Structurae
- "ARCO...A Global Energy Company". Atlantic Richfield Company. 9 December 1997. Archived from the original on 13 January 1998. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- Sanchez, Jesus (December 14, 2001). "Arco Tower to Become Paul Hastings Tower". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- Roger Vincent (February 4, 2011). "Architecture firm Gensler to move from Santa Monica to downtown L.A.". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Our Offices
- Regus Office Space in Los Angeles
- Law Firm Takes Two Floors in City National Tower
- Thomas Properties Group Signs Law Firm Fulbright & Jaworski At City National Plaza
- Jones Day’s Los Angeles office relocates to City National Tower In downtown L.A.
- Kroll Office Locations
- "Turner Construction Office Network: Los Angeles / Anaheim". Turner Construction. Retrieved 16 July 2012.