City Road Cemetery
The City Road Cemetery is a cemetery in the City of Sheffield, England that opened in May 1881 and was originally Intake Road Cemetery. Covering 100 acres (0.40 km2) it is the largest and is the head office for all the municipally owned cemeteries in Sheffield. The cemetery contains Sheffield Crematorium, whose first cremation was on 24 April 1905.
The cemetery is located to the east of central Sheffield. It is in the district called Manor, on a gentle hillside. The cemetery is mainly bordered by housing, on the north, east and south faces, and by City Road on the west. On City Road is the main entrance which features Grade II listed gatehouse which houses the reception and halls of remembrance.
There are 220 burials or commemorations of Commonwealth servicemen at the cemetery who died in the First World War. A Screen Wall memorial in Section Q, near the main entrance, lists those buried in graves that could not be individually marked by headstones
There are 147 burials or commemorations of servicemen and women who died in the Second World War, many in a war graves plot in Section H. The plot has a Screen Wall memorial listing servicemen buried in the defunct Sheffield General Cemetery and St Phillip Ward End Church Cemetery whose graves could no longer be maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The Commission also erected a memorial, on the west side of the plot, listing 30 servicemen who were cremated at Sheffield Crematorium during the same war and it cares for 9 war graves of foreign nationalities.
Notable buildings and structures
- The Gatehouse, Grade II listed
- The Crematorium and chapel, Grade II listed
- The Catholic Chapel, Grade II listed
- The Harwich Road gate and gatehouse, Grade II listed
- Belgian War Memorial, Grade II listed
- The Blitz grave, Grade II listed
- War Memorial by Sir R Blomfield, Grade II listed
Notable burials or cremations
- Reverend Arthur Herbert Procter (1890-1973), First World War Victoria Cross recipient, was cremated here - ashes buried at Sheffield Cathedral.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to City Road Cemetery.|
- Sheffield City Council - City Road Cemetery History
-  CWGC Cemetery report.
- License, Paul (2000). Sheffield Blitz - in words, pictures and memories. Sheffield Newspapers Ltd.
- Historic England. "Gatehouse (456252 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Crematorium and chapel (456580 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Catholic Chapel (456584 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Harwich Road gate and gatehouse (456583 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Belgian War Memorial (456579 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Sheffield Blitz grave (456581 )". Images of England.
- Historic England. "War Memorial (456582 )". Images of England.
-  Burial locations of VC Holders, South Yorkshire.