City Terrace, California
|City Terrace, California|
Location within Los Angeles county
|Country||United States of America|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
City Terrace is an unincorporated community in the San Rafael Hills of Los Angeles County, California. The County administers it as part of the East Los Angeles unincorporated area, together with Belvedere Gardens and Eastmont.
The community is considered part of the Eastside region of Los Angeles County, located northeast of Downtown Los Angeles. It contains City Terrace Elementary School and City Terrace Park. The U.S. census numbers are included with the unincorporated community of East Los Angeles.
Light rail service to East L.A. is provided by Metro Gold Line's Eastside Extension, which opened in 2009. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) provides bus service from East L.A. to throughout the L.A. area. In addition, local shuttle service is provided by the El Sol (East Los Angeles Shuttle).
City Terrace is bounded by the city limits of Los Angeles on the north and west, Floral Drive on the south, and the city limits of Monterey Park on the east. Boyle Heights is on the west, Lincoln Heights is to the northwest, University Hills is to the north, California State University, Los Angeles is to the northeast, Monterey Park is to the east, and other parts of East Los Angeles are to the south. Major thoroughfares include City Terrace Drive, Eastern and Medford Avenues, and Herbert Street. The community is part of ZIP code 90063 and area code 323.
History and Culture of Art
City Terrace is a neighborhood saturated with art. The Goez Art Studio was co-founded by David Rivas Botello, Jose-Luis Gonzalez and Juan Gonzalez In 1969. Later, in 1975, Botello and Wayne Alaniz Healy co-found Los Dos Streetscapers, later adding Charles Solares, Fabian Debora, George Yepes, Paul Botello, Ricardo Duffy, Rich Raya, and Rudy Calderon to their ranks and renaming themselves East Los Streetscapers. The incredible ceramic mural at the City Terrace Branch Library, Ofrenda Maya 1, was created by Goez Studios' Jose Luis Gonzalez. Another stunning mural created in 1994 by George Yepes, a member of the East Los Streetscapers who is widely known for creating the cover art for Los Lobos' 1988 album, is seen on one of the walls at City Terrace Elementary.
City Terrace Park was developed in 1933 by Works Progress Administration crews; it occupied a piece of 3.5 acres (1.4 ha) terrace that was formed after crews hacked a rugged and barren hill. In 1957 600,000 cubic yards (460,000 m3) pf soil that had been removed from the construction of the Los Angeles Civic Center was transported to the City Terrace County Park. The soil filled a ravine, tripling the park's original acreage.It has swimming, basketball & tennis, plus a playground, a splash pad, picnic areas and a gymnasium. In addition City Terrace Park hosts many activities for youth and Teens such as cheer, basketball and computer club, as well as activities for adults and family such as ceramics classes and aquatics programs.
The County of Los Angeles Public Library operates the City Terrace Library. The library has been in its current location since 1979 and was refurbished in 2009. The library offers homework help for children and teens, internet resources such as downloadable audio books, and occasionally hosts seminars for the community.
City Terrace is in the:
• 34th US congressional district, represented by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D) 
• 51st State Assembly district, represented by Assembly Member Jimmy Gomez 
• 5th District Los Angeles County Unified School District, represented by Board Member Bennett Kayser 
- Manuel and Abrana Arechiga — from Chavez Ravine
- Anthony Quinn
- Antonio Villaraigosa
- Gumercindo Gutierrez
- "Unincorporated Areas within the County of Los Angeles" (PDF). County of Los Angeles Annual Report 2009-2010. County of Los Angeles.
- "East Los Angeles, California (CA) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders". www.city-data.com.
- Bureau, U.S. Census. "American FactFinder - Search". factfinder.census.gov.
- "East Los Streetscapers - Mural Conservancy of Los Angeles". muralconservancy.org.
- "City Terrace Library - County of Los Angeles Public Library". www.colapublib.org.
- "Central Health Center." Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Retrieved on March 18, 2010.
- "Whoismyrepresentative.com". whoismyrepresentative.com.
- "Assembly Democratic Caucus". Assembly Democratic Caucus.
- "Sign In". achieve.lausd.net.
- "City Terrace Elementary School: Home Page". cityterrace-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com.