City University, Bangladesh
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Creating a Culture of Excellence|
|Chairman||Ahsanul Islam Titu|
|Chancellor||Abdul Hamid, President of Bangladesh|
|Campus||Urban, 40.1 hectares (99.1 acres)|
Red, white and golden
|Sports||Football and Cricket|
City University (Bengali: সিটি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়), or CU, is a private university in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was established in 2002. The language of instruction of City University is English. The university offers undergraduate and master's degrees in the fields of business administration, mechanical engineering, computer science and engineering, textile engineering, electrical & electronics engineering, law, English, etc.
The school was founded in 2002 in the Blue Ocean Tower, with the approval of the University Grants Commission (Bangladesh) and the Government of Bangladesh's Ministry of Education. City University got the Permanent Certificate (Permanent Sanad) from Ministry of Education, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh on 23 October 2013.
The university started with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and School of Business where they offered a Bachelor of Science and Engineering (CSE), Masters and Bachelor of Business Administration (MBA and BBA) and later grew with the addition of Department of English, Textiles Engineering and Mechanical Engineering with the approval of the University Grants Commission.
Since 2002, City University had Eight thousand students.
The university has multiple campuses within Dhaka.
The permanent campus is in Ashulia, Savar, in Dhaka District. City University started its permanent campus in 2011 with a huge area of land covered with green trees and grass, referred to as "the green campus". All classrooms are totally digitalized and have projectors. The laboratory is up-to-date. City University has a large playground for playing different types of games and has a large hall room for all types of official and cultural occasions. The permanent campus covers 60 acres (24 ha) with a playground, cafeteria, golf course, girls' and boys' hostel, and other facilities.
The city campus is located in Panthapath, near Bashundhara City. Its previous campus was in Banani, Dhaka, Bangladesh. The campus relocated on 1 November 2014 in Panthapath near Bashundhara City to a modernized building. The new campus has a large cafeteria, a smart car parking system, and a large conference room. All classrooms are totally digitalized with projectors. The laboratory is up-to-date.
The library has comprehensive collections to meet the needs of its users and is located in two campuses, one is in the main campus at Khagan, Birulia, Savar, Dhaka and the other one is at the city campus in Panthapath, Dhaka. The library provides services designed to support students, faculty members, researchers, and staff members. All members are encouraged to examine, consult, borrow and browse through any book, journal, printed/non-printed materials, on-line resources, and receive other services of the library.
Four month semester
- Fall : January to April
- Spring : May to August
- Summer : September to December
Six month semester
- Spring : January to June
- Fall : July to December
- Bachelor of Computer Science & Engineering (BCSE)
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
- Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering (BSTE)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE)
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (CE)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- LL.B. (Hons)
- LL.B (Pass)
- Bachelor Social Science
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- MBA REGULAR
- Executive MBA
- MA in English
Faculties and departments
The university consists of 4 Faculties and 10 Departments.
- 1. Faculty of Science & Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Science in Textile Engineering
- Department of Science in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Science in Civil Engineering
- Department of Pharmacy
- 2. Faculty of Business & Economics
- Department of Business Administration
- 3. Faculty of Arts & Social Science
- Department of English
- Department of Law
- 4. Faculty of Agriculture
- Department of Agriculture
In addition to academic work, opportunities for co-curricular and extracurricular activities abound for students & mdash; the objective being to help students to develop all-rounded personalities. The university has a range of students clubs to promote activities in different areas.
The university publishes two journals: Alok Bicchuron and AloKon.
Student clubs and communities
- Law Alumni Association of City University (LAACU)
- Law City University (LCU)
- Textile Club: CUTC
- Computer Club: CUCC
- Programming Club: CUPC
- Language Club
- Sports Club
- Tourist Club: CUTC
- Debating Club
- Magazine Club
- Spandon Club: SCCU
- Adda Club: CUAC
- Tarunno City University: TCU
Vice chancellor and chairman
The current vice chancellor is Shah-E-Alam.
List of vice chancellors
- Shah-E-Alam (20xx–Present)
List of chairmen
- Alhaz Moqbul Hossain (20xx– 24 May 2020)
- Ahsanul Hoque Titu (25 May 2020 – present)
Halls of residence
- Fazlur Rahman Hall
- Mockbul Hossain Hall
Halls for girls
- Mona Hossain Hall
- Fatema Hall
- সিটি ইউনিভার্সিটিতে অনুমোদনহীন বিভাগে ভর্তি, শঙ্কায় ছাত্ররা [Unsubsidized admissions at City University, students in doubt]. The Daily Ittefaq (in Bengali).