City of Damnation
|City of Damnation|
|Revised Romanization||Yoogamseureowoon dosi|
|Directed by||Kim Dong-won|
|Written by||Kim Dong-won|
|Music by||Kim Si-hwan|
|Edited by||Jeong Gwang-jin|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Box office||US$7.5 million|
City of Damnation (Korean: 유감스러운 도시; RR: Yoogamseureowoon dosi; MR: Yugamsŭrŏun tosi) is a 2009 South Korean film directed by Kim Dong-won and is a remake of the 2002 Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs.[failed verification]
Jang Choon-dong is a traffic officer who aspires to become a homicide detective. After being noticed by his superiors, Choon-dong is assigned to go undercover to infiltrate a gangster network headed by Yang Kwang-seob. Meanwhile, Lee Joong-dae (Jung Woong-in), a member of Kwang-seob's gang, goes undercover himself by joining the police force. Joong-dae tries hard to gain favour with his squad leader and bureau director in an effort to expose Choon-dong's identity, but falls in love with a colleague, Cha Se-rin.
- Jung Joon-ho as Jang Choon-dong
- Jung Woong-in as Lee Joong-dae
- Jung Woon-taek as Moon Dong-sik, aka Dae Ga-ri
- Park Sang-min as Ssang-kal
- Kim Sang-joong as Gangster boss Yang Kwang-seob
- Han Go-eun as Police lieutenant Cha Se-rin
- Sunwoo Jae-duk as Squad leader Park Jong-ki
- Park Yong-gi as Bureau director Cheon Seong-ki
- Kim Dae-hee as Won Sam-eeh, aka Won Soong-eeh
- Kang Seong-pil as Yang Pal-eeh
City of Damnation was released in South Korea on 22 January 2009, and was the only Korean film to be released during the Lunar New Year holiday, traditionally a big season for domestic films. On its opening weekend it was ranked third at the box office with 249,720 admissions, and the film's disappointing performance was thought to illustrate a steady decline in the popularity of the gangster comedy genre with local audiences. As of 22 February, City of Damnation had received a total of 1,555,039 admissions nationwide, and as of 1 March had grossed a total of US$7,545,744.
- "Infernal Affairs vs. the remake, The Departed". Film.com. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "City of Damnation (Movie - 2008)". HanCinema. Retrieved on 23 March 2009.
- Yang Sung-jin. "Foreign films lead weekend". HanCinema, 24 January 2009; originally published by The Korea Herald. Retrieved on 23 January 2009.
- "Korean Box Office, Week-end 2009.01.23 ~ 2009.01.25". HanCinema. Retrieved on 23 March 2009.
- Yang Sung-jin. "'Red Cliff' dominates holiday box office". HanCinema, 29 January 2009; originally published by The Korea Herald. Retrieved on 23 January 2009.
- "Korean Box Office, Week-end 2009.02.20 ~ 2009.02.22". HanCinema. Retrieved on 23 March 2009.
- "South Korea Box Office February 27–March 1, 2009". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved on 23 March 2009.