City of Derry R.F.C.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||City of Derry Rugby Club|
|Nickname(s)||Cod or City or Derry|
|League(s)||AIB Division 2B|
|2013–14||Winners Ulster Qualifying League and All Ireland junior Cup 2009 2010|
The club's purpose-built facility is at Judges Road, situated just outside Strathfoyle.
The club was established in 1881, winning the Irish Provincial Towns Cup in the following season.
In December 2001, the club was involved in a controversial appeal, involving a £4,000 fine and the deduction of 8 points after fielding an ineligible player. This resulted in the club being relegated from the AIB Division Two. In March 2007 the club hosted a youth project that saw 13 different primary schools compete. Following relegation, the club appointed new Zealander Bevan Lynch in June 2008 as Head coach. He set about improving the club's fortunes and has introduced a number of new faces. The club were unbeaten in all competitions in the 2008 – 2009 season. In the following 2009 – 2010 season they won the All Ireland junior Cup, the Ulster Qualifying League and were promoted back into the All Ireland League. The club also has under 19, under 17, under 15 and under 13 teams, a thriving mini and ladies sections
- Ulster Senior Cup: 1
- Ulster Senior League: 1
- Ulster Towns Cup: 12
- 1882–83, 1888–89, 1890–91, 1891–92, 1892–93, 1896–97, 1897–98, 1907–08, 1934–35, 1935–36, 2008–09, 2012–13 (Shared with Ballyclare)
- Ulster Junior Cup: 3
- 1897–98, 1945–46, 2008–09
AIB Junior Cup
In January 2010, City of Derry beat Armagh by 2 points to win their first ever AIB Junior Cup title.
References and Footnotes
- "History of City of Derry Rugby Football Club". www.cityofderryrfc.com. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- "City of Derry to lodge appeal" retrieved 15 June 2007
- City of Derry RFC Hosts Area Tag Blitz retrieved 15 June 2007 Archived 28 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Major changes at City of Derry R.F.C." retrieved 15 June 2007 Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "City of Derry Seal Dramatic AIB Junior Cup Win". www.irishrugby.ie. 30 January 2010. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 6 February 2010.