City of God – 10 Years Later
|City of God – 10 Years Later|
|Directed by||Cavi Borges|
|Produced by||Carla Osório|
|Written by||Gustavo Melo|
Luís Carlos Nascimento
|Music by||Gabriel Muzak|
|Distributed by||Livres Distribuidora de Audiovisual (Livres Filmes)|
The documentary shows what has changed in the lives of the actors from the 2002 feature film, City of God. The actors who portrayed Dadinho, Bené, and Li'l Zé, as well as the actress Alice Braga and musician and actor Seu Jorge participated in this documentary ten years after starring in the earlier film, directed by Fernando Meirelles.
Director Cavi Borges contacted Luciano Vidigal and suggested a documentary about City of God. Although they invited Fernando Meirelles to produce the documentary, he declined and said that his involvement could limit their perspective; however, he was an important part of their research. They found 50 people involved in the original film and chose to use 18. The actors were paid $90 for their interviews. In order to raise money, the filmmakers used crowdfunding and threw parties. In the community, news of a retrospective was not universally accepted, as some people disliked the original film for its violence. However, Borges wanted to change international perceptions of the area, which he says City of God colored.
City of God – 10 Years Later premiered at the Festival do Rio in October 2013. Due to unrelated protests, the original showing was canceled, and it was delayed. Its international premiere was at the Miami International Film Festival in March 2014.
The Miami New Times gave the documentary a mixed review, stating that "Fans of the original film will find plenty to enjoy, but as a standalone documentary about the effect of a hit movie on the poor community that birthed it, it comes up somewhat short."
- Kurczy, Stephen (5 October 2013). "Brazil: City of God – 10 years later". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Documentário "Cidade de Deus – 10 Anos Depois" investiga o que aconteceu com os atores do filme". Zero Hora (in Portuguese). Grupo RBS. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Obenson, Tambay. "City Of God - 10 Years Later' Is A Premiere Brazil 2013 Official Selection". IndieWire. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Documentário mostra atores de 'Cidade de Deus' 10 anos depois". G1 (in Portuguese). Organizações Globo. 12 May 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Khatchatourian, Maane (3 October 2013). "Cavi Borges: 'Now We Can Show Our Point of View'". Variety. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Zulian, Paula (12 October 2013). "'City of God –- 10 Years Later' Co-Director on Where the Stars of the Brazilian Hit Are Today (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Bowater, Donna (5 August 2013). "City of God, 10 years on". BBC News. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Ogle, Connie (14 January 2014). "Miami Film Festival announces first batch of movies for March event". Miami Herald. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Caplan, B. "MIFF Review: City of God -- 10 Years Later". Miami New Times. Retrieved 28 March 2014.