City of Marion
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|City of Marion
|• Density||1,441/km2 (3,730/sq mi)|
|Area||55.5 km2 (21.4 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Sturt (Town Hall)|
|State electorate(s)||Elder, Bright, Ashford, Mitchell, Morphett|
|Federal Division(s)||Boothby, Hindmarsh, Kingston|
|Website||City of Marion|
Adrian Skull is the current Chief Executive. He commenced on 31 August 2015.
The Marion Council comprises the Mayor and 12 Ward Councillors that are elected from six different wards.
- Kris Hanna - Mayor
- Cr Ian Crossland - Coastal Ward
- Cr Tim Gard- Coastal Ward
- Cr Jason Veliskou - Mullawirra Ward
- Cr Jerome Appleby - Mullawirra Ward
- Cr Janet Byram - Southern Hills
- Cr Nick Westwood - Southern Hills
- Cr Bruce Hull - Warracowie Ward
- Cr Nathan Prior - Warracowie Ward
- Cr Raelene Telfer - Warriparinga Ward
- Cr Luke Hutchinson - Warriparinga Ward
- Cr Nick Kerry - Woodlands Ward
- Cr Tim Pfeiffer - Woodlands Ward.
2014 Mayoral Election
The November 2014 local government elections saw a new mayor and seven new councillors elected to serve the City of Marion. Kris Hanna was elected unopposed after Dr Felicity-Ann Lewis decided not to stand in the election. Jerome Appleby, Bruce Hull, Luke Hutchinson, Tim Pfeiffer and Jason Veliskou were re-elected. Seven new councillors were elected; Janet Byram, Ian Crossland, Tim Gard, Nick Kerry, Nathan Prior, Raelene Telfer and Nick Westwood.
2010 Mayoral Election
The 2010 mayoral election saw sitting Mayor Felicity-ann Lewis go up against Councillor Raelene Telfer. Lewis ran with the campaign slogan "Experienced Leadership", whilst Raelene Telfer went with "A Full-time Mayor for Marion", which tried to tap into concerns that Lewis was too occupied with the Local Government Association of SA. Telfer's campaign failed and Mayor Lewis was returned for another term. Lewis received 7766 votes to Telfer's 6764.
2006 Mayoral election
The 2006 mayoral election saw Bruce Hull and Felicity-Ann Lewis go up against each other for the position for a second time. It had been expected that Lewis would not re-contest but she nominated at the eleventh hour. Former councillor Andrew Cole also ran. Bruce Hull failed once again, gaining 7988 votes to Lewis' 8345 after the distribution of Cole's preferences.
2003 Mayoral election
At the 2003 Mayoral election Felicity-Ann Lewis was elected unopposed.
The suburbs in the City of Marion are:
Facilities and attractions
Major facilities and attractions in the City of Marion include:
- SA Aquatic and Leisure Centre
- Marion Cultural Centre
- Westfield Marion Shopping Centre
- Marion Outdoor Pool
- Cove Civic Centre
- Living Kaurna Cultural Centre
- Marion Coastal Walking Trail
- Warriparinga Wetland
- Oaklands Wetland and Reserve
The City of Marion provides a range of services including road maintenance, drainage, waste collection, disposal and recycling, recreation and outdoor spaces, community care, cultural and educational activities, and library and information services.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- Local Government Association of South Australia – Previous Local Government Election Results – LGA. Lga.sa.gov.au.