City of Moonee Valley
|City of Moonee Valley|
|• Density||2,970/km2 (7,700/sq mi)|
|Area||43 km2 (16.6 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Samantha Byrne|
|Council seat||Moonee Ponds|
|Website||City of Moonee Valley|
The City of Moonee Valley is a local government area located within the metropolitan area of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It comprises the north-western suburbs between 3 and 13 kilometres from the Melbourne city centre, and in June 2018, the city had a population of 127,883.
The original council logo from 1994 was replaced in February 2010.
Exchange prefixes in the city are 937x, 837x, 933x or 833x (the latter left over from the old City of Keilor).
The Moonee Valley is a culturally diverse region with a substantial residential population and various commercial set-ups and industries. It comprises the Moonee Valley Racecourse, Essendon Airport and has several shopping precincts, restaurants, parks and offices. It is well connected and easily accessible through trams and the Craigieburn train line. It is also a thriving business centre, with close to 10,000 businesses operating in the region.
- Airport West
- Ascot Vale
- Avondale Heights
- Essendon North
- Essendon West
- Flemington (Shared with the City of Melbourne)
- Keilor East (Shared with the City of Brimbank)
- Moonee Ponds
- Strathmore Heights
The City of Moonee Valley has three wards: Buckley, Myrnong and Rose Hill.
Buckley Ward comprises Essendon Fields, Essendon North, Strathmore, Aberfeldie, most of Essendon and Strathmore Heights, and parts of Moonee Ponds and Essendon West.
Myrnong Ward comprises Ascot Vale, Flemington, Travancore, most of Moonee Ponds and part of Essendon.
Rose Hill Ward comprises Avondale Heights, Keilor East, Airport West, Niddrie, most of Essendon West and part of Strathmore Heights.
Councillors are elected from the three multi-member wards, each electing three members, for a total of nine councillors. The current council was elected in October 2020, as its composition is:
|Independent||Cam Nation||Previous Membership: Liberal Party of Australia|
|Myrnong Ward||Independent||Jacob Bettio||Deputy Mayor|
|Labor||Katrina Hodgson||Australian Labor Party, since Nov 2010|
|Independent||Rose Iser||Previous Memberships:
Australian Labor Party, Sep 2014 – May 2015
Australian Greens, Apr 2006 – May 2013
|Rose Hill Ward||Independent||Samantha Byrne||Mayor|
|Independent||John Sipek||Previous Membership: Australian Labor Party, 2005-2016|
|Labor||Pierce Tyson||Australian Labor Party, since Jul 2013|
The current Mayor is Samantha Byrne and the Deputy Mayor is Jacob Bettio. They were elected by council in November 2021 and will serve the 2021/2022 year.
Learn more about Moonee Valley
You can learn more about our community by checking out our
- Moonee Valley Racing Club
- List of places on the Victorian Heritage Register in the City of Moonee Valley
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- "Moonee Valley City Council - Moonee Valley Logo". www.mvcc.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 16 June 2010.[dead link]
- "Economy Profile". Economy Profile.
- "Moonee Valley City Council profile". Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 14 June 2020.