City of Victor Harbor
|City of Victor Harbor
|Population||15,169 (2015 est)|
|• Density||39.247/km2 (101.649/sq mi)|
|Area||386.5 km2 (149.2 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Graham Philp |
|Council seat||Victor Harbor|
|Region||Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island|
|Website||City of Victor Harbor|
The City of Victor Harbor is a local government area of South Australia. It covers an area of 386.5 square kilometres (149.2 sq mi) along the coast about 80 kilometres (50 mi) south of the centre of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. The council is responsible for the town of Victor Harbor, which contains over 85% of its population, and the surrounding rural area to the north and west. The City of Victor Harbor has an estimated population of 13,608.
The City, then known as the District Council of Victor Harbor, was the product of a merger between the District Council of Encounter Bay and the Corporation of Victor Harbor on 31 October 1975. In 1996–1997, a merger with the small neighbouring councils in Port Elliot and Goolwa, which form a contiguous coastal conurbation with Victor Harbor, was considered, but ultimately Victor Harbor remained distinct and the other councils merged to form the District Council of Alexandrina. On 1 February 2000, the District Council of Victor Harbor was renamed as the City of Victor Harbor.
The town has 10 councillors and no wards. Each councillor serves a four-year term. As of 2015, the mayor is Graham Philp.
The current council, as of June 2016 is:
The city consists of the following localities (also called suburbs):
- Back Valley
- Encounter Bay
- Hayborough (split with District Council of Alexandrina)
- Hindmarsh Tiers
- Hindmarsh Valley
- Inman Valley
- Lower Inman Valley
- Mount Jagged
- Victor Harbor
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "ELECTED MEMBERS". City of Victor Harbor. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Archived from the original on 5 June 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- City of Victor Harbor (12 July 2007). "Council Information". Retrieved 1 May 2009.
- "Elected Members". City of Victor Harbor. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Council Member Register of Interests" (PDF). City of Victor Harbor. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Suburbs Map - District" (PDF). City of Victor Harbor. Retrieved 31 July 2015.