City of Yarra
|City of Yarra
|Population||89,151 (2015 Est)|
|• Density||4,457.55/km2 (11,545.0/sq mi)|
|Area||20.0 km2 (7.7 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||Yarra City Council|
|Website||City of Yarra|
The City of Yarra is a local government area in Victoria, Australia in the inner eastern and northern suburbs of Melbourne. It has an area of 19.5 square kilometres, and at the 2011 Census it had a population of 74,090. The City of Yarra was formed in 1994 as a result of the amalgamation of the former Cities of Richmond, Collingwood, Fitzroy and part of Carlton North, formerly part of the City of Melbourne and parts of Alphington and Fairfield, previously part of the former City of Northcote.
The administrative centre of the City of Yarra is the old Richmond Town Hall in Bridge Road Richmond. The Collingwood Town Hall in Hoddle Street Abbotsford is also still used by the council. The Fitzroy Town Hall has been given over to the regional library and for use as a community space. Some council committees also meet there.
The city is culturally and socially diverse. The 2011 Australian Census found that 37.4% of residents were born outside Australia, with the largest numbers being born in England, Vietnam, New Zealand, Greece and China.
The suburbs of the City of Yarra were established in the mid-to-late 19th century and retain a Victorian appearance. The majority of housing in the city is made up of Victorian cottages or terraces or apartments built from the 1960s.
The City of Yarra has some of Melbourne's best shopping streets. These include Bridge Road and Swan and Victoria Streets in Richmond, Brunswick and Gertrude streets in Fitzroy and Smith Street in Collingwood.
Suburbs within the City of Yarra
- Alphington (Shared with the City of Darebin)
- Carlton North (Shared with the City of Melbourne)
- Clifton Hill
- Fairfield (Shared with the City of Darebin)
- Fitzroy North
- Princes Hill
Yarra City Council is composed of nine councillors elected proportionally as three separate wards, each electing three Councillors. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council, and is still to be determined after the 2016 election. The most recent election was held in October 2016. 
The City of Yarra has a high concentration of fashion, technology, and media businesses. Companies located in the City of Yarra include:
- Aesop has its global headquarters based on Smith Street, Collingwood.
- Carsales.com Ltd and its subsidiary Quicksales has its head office located on Punt Road, Richmond.
- Computershare, one of the largest stock exchange technology and registrar services business in the world is located on Johnston Street Abbotsford.
- Country Road, an upscale Australia clothing and homewares manufacturer and retailer is headquartered on Church Street, Richmond
- Epworth the not-for-profit private health care group, employ 1,800 staff at their head office, and largest hospital, on Bridge Road.
- GlaxoSmithKline operates offices of its pharmaceutical division on Johnston Street, Abbotsford.
- Just Group and its brands Just Jeans, Jay Jays, Jacqui E, Portmans, Dotti, Peter Alexander, and Smiggle are headquartered on Church Street, Richmond
- Madman Entertainment has its head office in the Richmond suburb and in the Melba Ward in Yarra.
- Pacific Star Network Limited, a ASX-listed radio broadcaster best known for SEN 1116, is based on Swan Street, Richmond.
- REA Group which includes realestate.com.au has its head office located on Victoria Street, Richmond.
- Schwartz Publishing publishes The Monthly, Quarterly Essay and the book imprint Black Inc is located on Langridge Street, Collingwood.
- SitePoint, a global technology publisher and its website subsidiaries 99designs.com, Flippa.com, Learnable.com and Wave Digital are based on Cambridge Street and Wellingston Street, Collingwood.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Yarra City Council Election Results 2012". Victorian Electoral Commission. October 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Edwards, Rick; Maud, Paula (27 October 2012). "Yarra Council elections 2012". Melbourne Leader. Internet Archive. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- About Us – Aesop." Aesop (skin care). Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Help Centre – carsales.com.au." Carsales.com.au. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Corporate Directory – ComputerShare Australia." Computershare. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "About Us – ComputerShare Australia" Computershare. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Information – Country Road." Country Road. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Epworth Richmond." Epworth Hospital. Retrieved on 21 June 2014.
- "Our Facilities". GlaxoSmithKline.
- "Contact – Just Group." Just Group. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Contact Information." Madman Entertainment. Retrieved on 29 March 2010.
- "Map of the Ward Boundaries Archived 2 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine.." City of Yarra. Retrieved on 29 March 2010.
- "Contact Us – Pacific Star Network Limited." Pacific Star Network Limited. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Contact – REA Group." REA Group. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Contact – The Monthly." The Monthly. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "About Us – Quarterly Essay." Quarterly Essay. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Contact – Black Inc Books." Black Inc. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "About Us – SitePoint Pty Ltd." SitePoint. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "Contact Us – SitePoint Pty Ltd." SitePoint. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- "About Us – 99designs." 99designs.com. Retrieved on 14 April 2013.
- Official website
- Public Transport Victoria local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps