City on a Hill Press
|Type||Weekly newspaper and Online newspaper|
|Owner(s)||City on a Hill Press|
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
City on a Hill Press, originally launched in 1966 as The Fulcrum, is the weekly student newspaper of the University of California, Santa Cruz. Designed as a magazine, the weekly tabloid-sized paper releases new issues every Thursday of the fall, winter and spring academic quarters, as well as a back-to-school issue entitled "Primer" at the end of the summer session, for a total of 30 issues per school year.
The paper reports not only on UCSC campus news, but also on news in the city of Santa Cruz.
The paper was named the 1986 College Gold Crown Newspaper by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, as well as Best All-Around Student Newspaper in 1983 from the Society of Professional Journalists. Editorials and illustrations have also received CSPA awards in the past two decades. Most recently in 2007, the paper received CSPA honors for cover design and page layout.
Gabby Areas (2013-2014 Managing Editor), Cory Fong (2013-2014 Co-Editor-in-Chief), Jayden Norris (2013-2014 Co-Editor-in-Chief) and Jon Vorpe (2013-2014 Managing Editor) won a Society of Professional Journalists’ Mark of Excellence Award as finalists for best all around non daily student newspaper.
Humjune Geo (fall 2013 Campus reporter), Elizabeth Harris (fall 2013 Campus reporter), Abbie Jennings (fall 2013 Campus reporter) and Lauren Romero (fall 2013 Campus editor) won a Society of Professional Journalists' Mark of Excellence Award for the November 2013 article “UC Workers Refuse to be Silenced” as finalists in breaking news reporting by a non daily student newspaper.
Alia Wilson (spring 2007 Health/Science editor) and Daniel Zarchy (2008-09 Co-Editor in Chief), won the Katharine M. MacDonald Award for excellence in student journalism by the California State University, Sacramento Center for California Studies and the Sacramento Press Club for their 2006 story about immigration legislation in California.
Sam Laird (fall 2006 City reporter, winter 2007 City editor) won The Chronicle of Higher Education's fifth annual David W. Miller Award for Student Journalists for writing and reporting that he did while at City on a Hill Press, as well as a Columbia Scholastic Press Association Certificate of Merit for News Feature Writing for his 2007 story "The Colorblind Society: Are We There Yet?"
- "1986 Collegiate Crown Recipients". Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- Alia Wilson; Daniel Zarchy (2006). "Toeing the Line". City on a Hill Press.
- "California Journalism Awards honor the best in the business". Sacramento State Bulletin. 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- Laird, Sam (2007-01-18). "The Colorblind Society: Are We There Yet?". City on a Hill Press. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- Rappaport, Scott (2008-05-08). "Santa Cruz Graduate Wins Student-Journalism Award From The Chronicle". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Archived from the original on January 9, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "UCSC alumnus wins annual student-journalism award from Chronicle of Higher Education". UCSC News/Events.
- Zarchy, Daniel (2008-11-13). "Dana Priest: Cleaning Up the Government, One Story at a Time". City on a Hill Press. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Writing at UC Santa Cruz". UC Santa Cruz Admissions. Retrieved 2009-01-25.