Civic Center/UN Plaza station
BART crowds at Civic Center station after Pride
|Location||1150 Market Street
San Francisco, California
|Platforms||1 high level island platform (BART)
1 high level island platform (Muni Metro)
2 low level side platforms (MKSR)
|Tracks||2 wide gauge (BART)
2 standard gauge (Muni Metro)
2 standard gauge (MKSR)
Golden Gate Transit
Kaiser Shuttle Yellow Line
|Opened||November 5, 1973 (44 years ago) (BART)
February 1980 (37 years ago) (Muni)
|Passengers (FY 2016)||23,564 exits/day 3.52%|
Civic Center/UN Plaza is a BART and Muni Metro station in the Civic Center of San Francisco. The westernmost of the dual BART/Muni stops on the Market Street Subway, Civic Center/UN Plaza acts as a major hub for passenger movement throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. With 18,432 exits each weekday, it is the fourth-busiest station in the BART system.
Service at this station began on November 5, 1973.
Like the three other shared BART/Muni stations in the Market Street Subway, Civic Center station has three levels: a fare mezzanine on the first level, an island platform for Muni Metro on the second level, and an island platform for BART on the third level. As with the other three stations, Civic Center was built with six entrances – three on each side of Market Street – leading to the fare concourse. A passageway to two additional entrances west of 8th Street and Hyde Street was opened later. One of those entrances, on the north side of Market Street, was temporarily closed in December 2016 after a sewer pipe collapsed under the escalators. In August 2017, BART announced that both entrances would likely be permanently closed, as the passageway space is needed for a new electrical substation to increase Transbay Tube train frequency. The six original entrances (all of which are significantly closer to the faregates) will remain open. The concourse has two BART fare payment areas and two Muni fare payment areas.
- "Monthly Ridership Reports". Bay Area Rapid Transit District. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "BART History" (PDF). Bay Area Rapid Transit District. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Civic Center/UN Plaza Station map". San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. Archived from the original on March 3, 2014.
- "Civic Center Grove Street entrance closed for repairs" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. December 6, 2016.
- "Permanent entrance closures planned at Civic Center for traction power project" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. August 22, 2017.