Civic Trust Awards
Civic Trust Awards is a Community Interest Company founded in June 2009 following the closure of the Civic Trust charity earlier that year. Civic Trust Awards continued the annual awards scheme independently.
The Civic Trust Awards were originally established in 1959 by Michael Middleton CBE of the Civic Trust to recognise outstanding architecture, urban design, landscape and public are which improve the quality of life for local communities.
Awards are given for buildings and schemes which were architecturally outstanding and made positive differences to their local community. Each entry is judged by a voluntary panel including an Architect, Inclusive Design Advisor, a representative from the Local Planning Authority and a Local Community Representative.
Several awards are issued each year from a shortlist. Some are given a commendation and a selected few are considered for a sponsored Special Award. The main annual winners are given the Civic Trust Award, which comes with a plaque, and previous award winners include:
- Hallgate, Blackheath Park, London, 1961
- Kingsgate Bridge, Durham, 1965
- Nottingham Playhouse, 1966
- Richmond Baths (now Pools on the Park), Richmond, London, 1967
- West Burton Power Station, 1968
- Severn Bridge, 1968
- M6 motorway between Lancaster and Penrith, 1971
- Renault Centre, Swindon, 1983
- St James, Guernsey, 1986
- Centenary Building, University of Salford, 1997
- London IMAX, 2000
- Blizard Building, 2006
- Saint Malachy's Church, Belfast, 2010
- Green Park Business Park, Reading, 2014
- "Civic Trust in administration". Landscape Design Trust. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Civic Trust Awards". Civic Trust Awards. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "About the Civic Trust Awards". Civic Trust Awards. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Special Award Winners". Civic Trust Awards website. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Played in Britain (2015). "28.14 Pools on the Park". Played in London: a directory of historic sporting assets in London. English Heritage, now Historic England. p. 139. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Visit Cumbria". Visit Cumbria. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Renault Centre". Civic Trust Awards. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Green Park". Civic Trust Awards. Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.