Civic railway station
Westbound view from Platform 1 in July 2013
|Location||Hunter Street, Newcastle
|Distance||167.02 km (103.78 mi) from Central|
|Opened||22 December 1935|
|Closed||26 December 2014|
Civic railway station was located on the Newcastle line in New South Wales, Australia. It served the Civic part of Newcastle's central business district, opening on 22 December 1935. The station had the smallest signal box in the state to control the Merewether Street level crossing. The signal box closed in July 1992. Civic station closed on 25 December 2014, when the Newcastle line was truncated to terminate at Hamilton.
Platforms & services
Civic had two side platforms that could accommodate six carriages. At the time of its closure, it was serviced by trains from Sydney Central to Newcastle and local services from Newcastle to Maitland, Muswellbrook, Scone, Telarah and Dungog.
In 2007, Platform 2 was extended at its western end to allow Merewether Street level crossing to remain open while trains are stopped at the station.
- Civic Station NSWrail.net
- Civic Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Signalling & Safeworking" Railway Digest September 1992 page 354
- Last train leaves Newcastle station Newcastle Herald 26 December 2014
- Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Hunter line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Newcastle Rail Corridor Upgrade Projects NSW Premier's Office