Civil Police of Rio de Janeiro State
The Civil Police of Rio de Janeiro State (Polícia Civil do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, in Portuguese) is the police force responsible for criminal investigations in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil. Formed in 1808, it is subordinated to the state government and directed by a Chief of Police, chosen by the state's Governor.
Roles and functions today
The police activity of prevention and repression of the penal infractions is exercised by the Police Stations situated in the police circumscriptions which correspond to the geographic areas of the suburbs of Rio Metropolitan Region or the country municipalities.
Each Police Station is directed by a Police Delegate helped by Adjunctive Police Delegates, chiefs of police groups and police services.
According to their geographic localization in the territory of the State, the Police Stations are subordinate to one of the three great operational departments of the Police: of the Capital (Rio de Janeiro city), of the "Baixada Fluminense" (municipalities which form Rio de Janeiro Metropolitan Area, except Rio de Janeiro city) and Inland (which contains ten regions).
The criminal investigations developed by the police stations may be supported by the Specialized Police Department, through its specialized organs (divisions) when repressing the homicide crimes of unknown authors, narcotics, robbery, theft and large frauds.
It is a special service which use highly trained policemen in dangerous tasks that Police have to face daily.
- Heckler & Koch PSG1 Sniper rifle (Used by CORE)
- AK-47 rifle (Used by specialized department)
- FN FAL rifle
- Heckler & Koch G3 rifle (Used by CORE)
- M16 rifle (Used by CORE)
- IMBEL MD97 rifle (Used by specialized department)
- IMBEL MD rifle
- AR-15 carbine
- CAR-15 carbine
- Ruger Mini-14 carbine (Used by specialized department)
- Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine (Used by CORE)
- Taurus PT92 pistol
- Taurus PT 24/7 pistol
- Taurus Millennium series pistol
- Glock pistol (Used by CORE)
- Police Delegate (Delegado)
- Police Crime Register Agent (Oficial de Cartório Policial)
- Police Inspector (Inspetor de Polícia)
- Police Investigator (Investigador Policial)
- Criminal Expert (Perito Criminal)
In popular media
The Rio civil police appear in Fast Five, the fifth movie of the Fast and the Furious series, where many of them are corrupt and in the payroll of drug lord Hernan Reyes, being sent to try and retrieve his vault full of his drug money after it was stolen from the PMERJ station alongside the PMERJ and PRF. However, thanks to Dominic Toretto and his team, all of their pursuing cruisers are destroyed, their corrupt officers slaughtered, and Reyes himself executed by DSS Agent Luke Hobbs in revenge for murdering his team back in the favelas.
- Civil Police (Brazil)
- CORE (special operations)
- Civil Police Museum (Rio de Janeiro)
- Brazilian Federal Police
- Brazilian Intelligence Agency