Civil Twilight (band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa|
|Associated acts||Mutemath, Young the Giant (Left behind in 2014)|
Civil Twilight is a four-piece rock band from Cape Town, South Africa, consisting of the brothers Andrew and Steven McKellar, plus Richard Wouters, and Kevin Dailey. They are signed to Wind-up Records, and have released three studio albums — their self-titled debut album, Civil Twilight (2010), Holy Weather (2012), and Story of an Immigrant on July 10th 2015.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Originally hailing from Cape Town, South Africa, Civil Twilight started as a trio that drew parallels with The Police and very early U2, Muse, Jeff Buckley, and Radiohead. Their music has been described as having impassioned vocals and classic song craft. Brothers Andrew and Steven McKellar were raised in a musical household, having explored their father's jazz collection at a young age while listening to their classically trained mother play piano. In November 1996, Andrew launched a teenaged band with help from his high school classmate, drummer Richard Wouters, who was just starting out in music. The two scheduled an inaugural rehearsal for the following month; in the interim, Andrew discovered that his younger brother, Steven, could sing and write songs. The three musicians subsequently banded together, with Steven agreeing to learn the bass.
Civil Twilight spent several years practicing in local church halls and garages before graduating to the local club scene, where they steadily became a well-respected act. Having finished their education, the bandmates then relocated to Los Angeles in August 2005; shortly thereafter, they signed with the indie label One October and co-produced their debut record, Human. The album arrived in 2007 and received an extra boost when several songs were featured in prime-time television shows, including One Tree Hill, House, Star-Crossed and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. As their profile mounted, the musicians relocated to Nashville.
Their musical influences, interests, and heroes range from Oasis to Wilco, The National to Grizzly Bear. In 2012, they headlined a US tour (with Morning Parade opening up), supported two months with Mutemath, and various dates with Young the Giant. Past tour mates have also included Florence + the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Anberlin, Neon Trees, Jimmy Eat World, Silversun Pickups, and Of Monsters and Men.
Civil Twilight played the Main stages of 2012 festivals such as Austin City Limits, Bumbershoot (their 2nd visit), Milwaukee Summerfest (their third visit), and Music Midtown 2011 also saw them play most every major festival in the US, including but not limited to, Bonnaroo, Voodoo, Hangout, Mountain Jam, 80-35, Vh1’s Best Cruise Ever, Rivers Edge, and a headline performance at the Rockin’ the Daisies festival in Cape Town, South Africa.
Civil Twilight’s debut single in 2010, "Letters from the Sky", reached #5 on the Alternative radio charts and remained in the Top 10 for 6 months of the year, with over 1000 spins throughout Texas, and from Philadelphia to Seattle, selling over 200,000 copies.
Their last single "Fire Escape" charted Top 20 Alternative, and received extensive coverage on Vh1, Fuse and MTV.
Their songs have been featured in many TV spots, including One Tree Hill and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. "Quiet In My Town" was prominently featured at the end of Season 6 Episode 3 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. of One Tree Hill on The CW Network. It played for 6 minutes during the coda – the scene of Quentin's funeral. They have also had songs on Vampire Diaries and the movie, Underworld: Awakening.
"Letters From The Sky" was featured at the end of Episode 11 of Harper's Island. In addition to this, the song was also featured on Season 7 of One Tree Hill, in the opening scene of the episode, You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son. The song has also featured at the end of the film I Am Number Four left behind 2014. It was also featured in Shameless Season 8 Episode 7 as Lip pays a visit to Professor Youens in his new living situation.
"Letters From the Sky" was also used by World Wrestling Entertainment for the promo video between Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and John Cena for their Championship match at WrestleMania 29.
"Letters From the Sky" was the iTunes Free Download of the Week for the week of 6–12 October 2009.
The band's self-titled album was originally released independently in 2008. Having now signed to Wind-up Records, this album was due to be re-released 31 March 2009; however, due to scheduling issues it was pushed back. It was eventually released 6 April 2010.
Currently, the band is recording their third studio album.
On 2 March 2015, the band released a new song, titled "Story of an Immigrant," and announced their new album of the same name. In a statement, the band has this to say about the new track: “This song both lyrically and musically seemed to set the course for the new music we were writing. It was the first song written for the new record where we all collectively went, ‘I like this. Let’s keep going in this direction.’ We think musically it very naturally links our past with where we’re headed—and lyrically it’s in many ways the story of our lives, our band, and our journey.” 
- Steven McKellar – bass guitar, lead vocals, keyboards
- Andrew McKellar – guitar
- Richard Wouters – drums, percussion
- Kevin Dailey - keyboards, backing vocals
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Story of an Immigrant||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- iTunes Live from SoHo, 2010
- Holy Weather Remix EP, 2012
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Quiet in My Town"||2009||—||—||Civil Twilight|
|"Letters from the Sky"||7||25|
|"Anybody Out There"||2010||—||—|
|"Next to Me"||2011||—||—|
|"Fire Escape"||2012||21||44||Holy Weather|
|"Too Far Gone"||2013||—||—||single only|
|"Story Of An Immigrant"||2015||—||—||Story of an Immigrant|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
TV and film appearances
|Song||Show / Promo|
|"Quiet in My Town"|
|"Letters from the Sky"||
|"Next to Me"|
|"Dying to Be Born"||The Vampire Diaries|
|"How'm I Supposed to Die"|
|"Come As You Are"||Defiance Season 1, Episode 2|
|"Too Far Gone"||Low Winter Sun Season 1, Episode 3|
|"The Courage or the Fall"|
-  Archived 3 March 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "One Tree Hill". Onetreehillpodcast.net. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
-  Archived 30 August 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Harper's Island - Season 1, Episode 11: Splash". TV.com. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- "The CW Music | Soundtracks | Featured Artists". Cwtv.com. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- "Featured Content on Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150303014007/http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/02/civil-twilight-release-story-immigrant-announce-new-album%E2%80%94exclusive. Archived from the original on 3 March 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015. Missing or empty
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Alternative Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Civil Twilight Album & Song Chart History: Rock Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Modern Rock – Available for Airplay Archive". FMQB. Mediaspan Online Services. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Civil Twilight - Too Far Gone". Soundcloud. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Civil Twilight song to be featured on House this Sunday after the Super Bowl! | Read. Think. Forget. Repeat". Jeremystanley.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2015-03-05.
- "Degrassi: The Next Generation: Degrassi Season 10 Music Guide". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "Next To Me - Civil Twilight". YouTube. 7 August 2010. Retrieved 2012-04-14.