Civis Analytics helps businesses "understand their data, use that data to make predictions, and get recommendations on what steps to take next". Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country's largest organizations, including Verizon, Airbnb, Discovery, FEMA, Boeing and the American Red Cross.
The company has recently faced controversy for firing an employee after he tweeted a short summary of a paper by Princeton professor Omar Wasow. The paper, written by an African American professor, examined the effect of protest movements on public opinion. After the firing, Civis Analytics initially released a statement claiming that had not fired any employees for tweeting academic papers, but later retracted that statement and replaced it with a new statement that omitted that claim. Eleven employees were laid off on October 30, 2019. In December, seven of them filed unfair labor practice charges with the NLRB for wrongful termination.
- Data dredging
- Dan Wagner (data scientist)
- ORCA (computer system)
- Project Houdini
- Project Narwhal
- Predictive Analytics
- Ha, Anthony (November 30, 2016). "Eric Schmidt-backed data science startup Civis Analytics raises $22M". techcrunch.com. Retrieved February 28, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "How Obama's Team Used Big Data to Rally Voters". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- Elahi, Amani (July 16, 2015). "Civis Analytics takes Obama data lessons to next level". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 28, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Wasow, Omar (August 2020). "Agenda Seeding: How 1960s Black Protests Moved Elites, Public Opinion and Voting". American Political Science Review. 114 (3): 638–659. doi:10.1017/S000305542000009X. ISSN 0003-0554.
- Chait, Jonathan. The Still-Vital Case for Liberalism in a Radical Age. New York Magazine. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2020/06/case-for-liberalism-tom-cotton-new-york-times-james-bennet.html
- Mounk, Yascha. Stop Firing the Innocent. The Atlantic, June 27, 2020. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/stop-firing-innocent/613615/
- Jones, Sarah (2021-04-01). "Democratic Firm Is Accused of Firing Workers for Speaking Up". Intelligencer. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "Civis Analytics, Inc. | National Labor Relations Board". www.nlrb.gov. Retrieved 2021-04-07.