Santana in action for Atlético Madrid
|Full name||Cléber Santana Loureiro|
|Date of birth||27 June 1981|
|Place of birth||Olinda, Brazil|
|Date of death||28 November 2016(aged 35)|
|Place of death||La Unión, Colombia|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|2008–2009||→ Mallorca (loan)||32||(5)|
|2011||→ Atlético Paranaense (loan)||30||(3)|
|2012||→ Avaí (loan)||24||(8)|
|2012||→ Flamengo (loan)||12||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
Born in Olinda, Pernambuco, Santana started playing professionally with Sport Club do Recife. He then went on to represent in Brazil Esporte Clube Vitória and Santos FC, punctuated by a stint with J1 League's Kashiwa Reysol in 2005.
In July 2007, Santana was signed from Santos by Atlético Madrid, on a three-year contract worth €6 million. Although not an undisputed starter, he still contributed with 23 league games as the Colchoneros returned to the UEFA Champions League after a 12-year hiatus, especially appearing after Maniche's loan departure to Inter Milan in January 2008.
For the 2008–09 season, Santana was loaned to fellow La Liga club RCD Mallorca. On 9 November 2008 he scored his first goal for the Balearic Islands team, in a 3–3 home draw against Athletic Bilbao, and finished the campaign (in which he featured heavily, alongside another player loaned by Atlético, José Manuel Jurado) with five, which also included the 2–1 winner against already crowned champions FC Barcelona on 17 May 2009, and a solo effort the following week, a 3–1 triumph at Real Madrid.
Cléber then returned to Atlético, being used sparingly but managing to net in a 2–2 home draw against UD Almería, on 23 September 2009. In late January of the following year, even though he had renewed his contract until June 2012, he returned to his country, signing with São Paulo FC.
On 21 September 2012, Santana was announced at Clube de Regatas do Flamengo, claiming the team could "not afford to think about relegation" even though it was playing below the general expectations – going on to finish in 11th position. He signed a two-year contract, and the Estádio da Gávea side bought 70% of his rights; two days later he scored on his official debut, against Atlético Clube Goianiense for the Série A.
In the following years, Santana represented Avaí Futebol Clube in the Série B, Criciúma Esporte Clube in that level and also Série A and Associação Chapecoense de Futebol in the top division. He captained the latter, helping the Santa Catarina-based team to the finals of the 2016 Copa Sudamericana.
On 28 November 2016, whilst travelling with Chapecoense to the aforementioned finals, 35-year-old Santana was among the fatalities of the LaMia Flight 2933 accident in the Colombian village of Cerro Gordo, La Unión, Antioquia.
|Kashiwa Reysol||2005||J1 League||30||8||—||5||2||—||—||35||10|
|Atlético Madrid||2007–08||La Liga||23||0||—||6||0||9[c]||0||—||38||0|
|São Paulo||2010||Série A||22||2||12||1||—||8[b]||0||—||42||3|
|Atlético Paranaense||2011||Série A||30||3||—||—||1[a]||0||—||31||3|
- Campeonato Baiano: 2004
- Campeonato Paulista: 2006, 2007
- Atlético Madrid
- Campeonato Catarinense: 2012
- "El Atlético cerró el fichaje del medio Cléber Santana" [Atlético closed midfielder Cléber Santana's signing]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 4 July 2007. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- "Cléber Santana: "Estamos en el buen camino y vamos a más"" [Cléber Santana: "We are on the right track and we want more"]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 14 December 2007. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "El Atlético de Madrid confirma la cesión de Cléber Santana al Mallorca para la próxima temporada" [Atlético de Madrid confirm Cléber Santana's loan to Mallorca for the following season] (in Spanish). Terra. 25 August 2008.
- "Mallorca 3–3 Athletic Bilbao". ESPN Soccernet. 9 November 2008. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "Mallorca 2–1 Barcelona". ESPN Soccernet. 17 May 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "Fourth defeat on spin". ESPN Soccernet. 24 May 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "Piatti leaves it late for Almeria". ESPN Soccernet. 23 September 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "El Atlético oficializa la renovación de Cléber Santana hasta 2012" [Atlético makes Cléber Santana's renewal until 2012 official]. Marca (in Spanish). 13 November 2009. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Cléber, traspasado al Sao Paulo" [Cléber, transferred to Sao Paulo]. Marca (in Spanish). 24 January 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Cléber Santana chega confiante:'Fla não pode pensar em rebaixamento'" [Cléber Santana arrives confident:'Fla cannot think of relegation'] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Chapecoense: Profile of Brazilian football team in Colombia plane crash". Metro. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Ex-Atlético player Cléber Santana dies in Chapecoense plane crash". Diario AS. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Cléber Santana". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Atlético Nacional pede que o título da Sul-Americana fique com a Chape" [Atlético Nacional ask that South-American title stay with Chape] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "CONMEBOL otorga el título de campeón de la Sudamericana 2016 a Chapecoense y reconoce a Atlético Nacional con el premio del centenario de la CONMEBOL al Fair Play" [CONMEBOL awards 2016 South American champion title to Chapecoense and bestows Atlético Nacional with CONMEBOL century Fair Play award] (in Spanish). CONMEBOL. 5 December 2016. Archived from the original on 6 December 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2016.