Claibourne Township, Union County, Ohio
|Claibourne Township, Union County, Ohio|
State Route 37 north of Richwood
Location of Claibourne Township in Union County
|• Total||34.7 sq mi (89.9 km2)|
|• Land||34.7 sq mi (89.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Density||98.6/sq mi (38.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087074|
Claibourne Township is one of the fourteen townships of Union County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,421 people in the township, 1,265 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Prospect Township, Marion County - northeast
- Thompson Township, Delaware County - southeast
- Leesburg Township - south
- Taylor Township - southwest
- York Township - west
The village of Richwood is located in central Claibourne Township.
Name and history
It is the only Claibourne Township statewide, and is named after the R. Claibourne survey. The township was organized in 1834. As of 1854, the township was also known as 'Clairbourn', and the population was 919.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Union County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- A.S. Mowry, C.E., Atlas of Union County, Ohio, Harris, Sutton & Hare, Philadelphia, 1877, Pg. 19.
- Thomas Baldwin & J. Thomas, A new and complete gazetteer of the United States, Lippincott, Grambo & Co, 1854, Pg. 241
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.