Claire Keane (born March 1, 1979) is an illustrator and visual development artist who contributed to the Disney films Enchanted, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen. She is the daughter of Disney animator Glen Keane and the granddaughter of cartoonist Bil Keane, creator of the comic strip, The Family Circus and Thelma Keane.
Keane grew up in California until, at the age of 16, she and her family moved to France. There she attended the American School of Paris and the Paris outpost of the Parsons School of Design. Keane then studied at the École supérieure des arts graphiques in Paris. She was encouraged to become a graphic designer. However, she realized that she preferred developing and exploring visuals and stories. Her father Glen Keane was just starting to develop the story of Tangled and told her they would soon need a visual development artist. Keane and her husband moved to Los Angeles where she worked at Disney Feature Animation for ten years designing for Tangled, Frozen and Enchanted among other films. In 2012, she left to work independently. Keane's first children's book Once Upon A Cloud came out in 2015 and her second book, Little Big Girl was published in the fall of 2016.
As a conceptual artist during the production of Tangled, Keane's work spanned the visual development seen throughout the entire film, but her work was arguably most visible as the murals the character Rapunzel paints on the wall of her home. For these, Keane hand painted the mural on a wall in the art department of the Walt Disney Animation Studios. Keane also illustrated the Disney storybook, Rapunzel's Amazing Hair.
For Enchanted, Keane worked with costume designer Mona May to help realize Giselle's dresses. In 2013, Keane left Disney to focus on writing and illustrating children's books. She released her first illustrated children's book: Once Upon A Cloud, which Kirkus Reviews felt displayed her background in working for Disney. Little Big Girl has a "retro" look to the illustrations.
|2008||Glago's Guest||Visual Development Artist|
|2010||Tangled||Visual Development Artist|
|2012||Wreck-it Ralph||Additional Visual Development Artist|
|2013||Frozen||Visual Development Artist|
|2014||Duet||Visual Development Artist|
|2017||Tangled (TV Series)||Visual Development Artist|
|2010||Tangled: Rapunzel's Amazing Hair||Illustrator|
|2014||Lovely: Ladies of Animation||Co-author/artist|
|2015||Once Upon A Cloud||Author & Illustrator|
|2016||Little Big Girl||Author & Illustrator|
|2016||A Fairy Friend||Illustrator|
- Ifeanyi, KC (2017-03-23). "With Animation In Her Blood, Claire Keane Is Ready To Bring Disney's "Tangled" To TV". Fast Company. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Kirill Grouchnikov (May 9, 2011). "The Art of Tangled - interview with Claire Keane". Pushing Pixels. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Lanz, Michelle (2015-03-06). "Claire Keane follows her dream with 'Once Upon A Cloud' children's book". Southern California Public Radio. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- White, Caitlin (April 3, 2015). "Disney's 'Frozen' Artist Claire Keane Debuts Children's Book 'Once Upon A Cloud,' And It's As Gorgeous As A Disney Dream - ARTWORK". Bustle. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Milligan, Mercedes (2017-01-31). "Rapunzel Returns in March for 'Tangled' TV Movie & Series". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Amid Amidi (October 2, 2013). "Like Father, Like Daughter: Claire Keane Leaves Disney Animation". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Once Upon a Cloud". Kirkus Reviews. 24 March 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Little Big Girl". Kirkus Reviews. 8 November 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Schlichenmeyer, Terri (26 March 2017). "Bookworm Sez: 'Love Is' celebrates the unbreakable bond". Cape Cod Times. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (2015-06-03). "'Tangled' Animated TV Series Based on Film Coming to Disney Channel". Variety. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)