Claire Rutter studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and at the National Opera Studio. Her title role performances have included those in Norma and Tosca at Grange Park Opera, and in Lucrezia Borgia, La Traviata and Aida at English National Opera. Her performances in the United States include those with Dallas Opera in 2003 (as Fiordiligi in Così fan tutte) and Santa Fe Opera in 2008 (as Alice in Falstaff). Rutter has recorded extensively for Naxos and Chandos. She is married to baritone Stephen Gadd.
- Lennox Berkeley: A Dinner Engagement - City of London Sinfonia, Richard Hickox (conductor). Chandos CHAN 10219
- Lennox Berkeley: Ruth - City of London Sinfonia, Richard Hickox (conductor). Chandos CHAN 10301
- Gustav Holst: The Planets / The Mystic Trumpeter Op.18 - Royal Scottish National Orchestra and Chorus, David Lloyd-Jones (conductor). Naxos 8.555776
- Herbert Howells: Hymnus paradisi / Sir Patrick Spens - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, The Bach Choir, David Hill (conductor). Naxos 8.570352
- Carl Orff: Carmina Burana - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Marin Alsop (conductor). Naxos 8.570033
- Rutter & Gadd: Family Album -BBC Concert Orchestra, Richard Balcombe (conductor). Spinto001.
- Arthur Sullivan: The Prodigal Son / Boer War Te Deum - New London Orchestra, Ronald Corp (conductor). Hyperion CDA67423
- Arthur Sullivan: The Contrabandista / The Foresters - New London Orchestra, Ronald Corp (conductor). Hyperion CDA 67486
- Changing tracks: Claire Rutter (interview), Scotland on Sunday, November 16, 2008. Accessed 10 January 2009.
- "Claire Rutter: McDonald's, KFC? Or a nice glass of wine?" (interview), The Independent on Sunday, June 30, 2002. Accessed 10 January 2009.
- Chism, Olin, "'Così' entices Dallas Opera's players", Dallas Morning News, November 23, 2003.
- Norris, Geoffrey, "Ticciati: music that bristles" (review of Claire Rutter and Stephen Gadd joint recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall), The Daily Telegraph, April 30, 2008. Accessed 10 January 2009.
- Thompson, Warwick, "Pharaonic Drag Queens Sparkle in Zandra Rhodes 'Aida' Costumes" (review of Aida at the English National Opera), Bloomberg News, November 9, 2007. Accessed 10 January 2009.