Claire Wright (politician)
Wright started working in the National Health Service in a public relations role in 2001, served on the Ottery St Mary Town Council and was elected to the Devon County Council in 2013 with 74 percent of the votes. She stood as a parliamentary candidate in the 2015 and 2017 elections, receiving increasing margins of the vote. Wright's main policy interests are the NHS, social care and preserving the environment, with her manifesto based on a community survey. On Brexit, Wright wants a confirmatory referendum on Boris Johnson's Brexit proposal in which she plans to campaign to stay within the European Union.
The East Devon constituency has only ever been held by the Conservative Party and used to be considered a safe seat. With growing support in the 2017 general election for Wright, polling indicated the seat had become marginal. Brian May endorsed Wright in 2017 and Hugh Grant and Martin Bell endorsed Wright in the 2019 election. However, in the December 2019 election, Wright lost to the Conservative Simon Jupp by nearly 7,000 votes. When asked if she would run again she said "she's not sure."
- Clark, Daniel (2 November 2019). "Independent who hopes to end 150 years of Conservatives in East Devon". Express & Echo. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Chakelian, Anoosh (29 November 2019). "Rural revolt: The independent rebellion threatening Tory Devon". New Statesman. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Bennett, Asa (4 May 2015). "Meet the Ottery independent candidate who could take one of the Tories' safest seats". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Parsley, David (29 November 2019). "Disgruntled Tories may not vote in Devon, giving independent candidate a chance". inews.co.uk. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Capurro, Daniel (23 November 2019). "Hot seat: East Devon - Can Independent take Tory seat after 150 years?". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Smith, Colleen (13 September 2019). "All eyes on Devon's Claire Wright ahead of General Election". Devon Live. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- Association, Press (28 November 2019). "Poll suggests Liberal Democrat defectors set to lose in General Election". Evening Express. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- "Martin Bell OBE backs Independent Claire Wright to be East Devon MP". East Devon News. 3 November 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "East Devon parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 13 December 2019.
- "Independent Wright 'incredibly sad' after defeat". Radio Exe. Retrieved 11 January 2020.