Clairemont High School
|Clairemont High School|
|4150 Ute Drive
San Diego, California 92117
|School district||San Diego City Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Jennifer Roberson|
|Rival||James Madison High School
Mission Bay High School
Kearny High School
|Website||Clairemont High School|
Clairemont High School is a public high school serving grades 9-12. It is located in the community of Clairemont Mesa, San Diego, California, United States. It is part of the San Diego Unified School District. The campus is situated close to the intersection of Balboa Avenue and Clairemont Drive. It has approximately 1,350 students and 87 certified staff members. It is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The school is named after the Clairemont community in which it is located.
When Clairemont opened its doors in 1958, it consisted of no senior class, a junior class (class of 1960) consisting mostly of transfers from Mission Bay High School in nearby Pacific Beach and Kearny High School, and a sophomore class (class of 1961) coming from its neighbor, Marston Junior High. There was no freshman class.
In 1960, the two school's closest rivals were Kearny High School and Mission Bay High. Their current rivals are crosstown locals Madison High.
Mary Catherine Swanson started the AVID program at Clairemont High in 1980 with 32 students.
In 2014 Clairemont's varsity softball team won the CIF Division III title by defeating Brawley 3-0. 
Clairemont has a variety of sports teams. The most attended game is football. The last time the football team won CIF was in 1981. The team made the playoffs in 1962, 1991, 1994, 2004, 2006, 2012 and 2013.
Clairemont has a long distance running tradition and won CIF championships in girls' cross country in 2009 and 2010.
Clairemont's mascot is the Chieftain, the school newspaper is The Arrow', and the annual is The Calumet (which is a ceremonial pipe used for special occasions by early native American tribes).
In popular culture
- Jennifer Batten, class of 1975, solo guitarist, toured with Jeff Beck and Michael Jackson
- Mike Fuentes, drummer for Pierce the Veil
- Vic Fuentes, vocals and rhythm guitar for Pierce the Veil
- Mo Gaffney, class of 1976, actress and comedian
- Bob Geren, class of 1979, baseball player and former manager of the Oakland Athletics
- Kristen R. Ghodsee, class of 1988, writer and professor
- Barbara Haskell, class of 1964, curator of theb Whitney Museum of American Art, 1975-present
- Ken Henderson, former Major League Baseball player, 1965-1980
- Kris Jenner, class of 1973, stars on reality TV show Keeping Up With The Kardashians
- Kevin Mitchell, baseball player and 1989 National League MVP, San Francisco Giants
- Tony Muser, former Major League Baseball manager.
- David Oliver, class of 1980, actor, Another World, A Year in the Life, and 21 Jump Street
- Andy Rathbone, class of 1980, author of a number of ...for Dummies books about Microsoft Windows, as well as other computing books
- Thomas A. Shannon, Jr., class of 1976, Assistant Secretary of State
- Bob Taylor, class of 1972, luthier and founder of Taylor Guitars
- Jerry Trainor, class of 1995, actor
- Luís Alberto Urrea, class of 1973, poet, novelist, and essayist
- Kelly Ward, class of 1974, actor, played Putzie in the film Grease
- Kendra Wilkinson, class of 2003, Playboy model and reality-television personality
- Mike Winters, class of 1976, Major League Baseball umpire, 1990-present
- Clairemont High website
- San Diego Reader
- MaxPreps Rankings
- Ken Henderson
- Huffington Post article-Kris Jenner