A clam pie is a savory meat pie prepared using clams as a primary ingredient, and it is a part of the cuisine of New England. It is also prepared as a type of pizza pie. White clam pie is a pizza variety that originated in New Haven, Connecticut.
A clam pie is a meat pie prepared using clams as a main ingredient. Ingredients in addition to whole or chopped clams and pie crust can include potatoes, corn, onion, celery, garlic, clam juice, milk, eggs, hard-boiled eggs, butter, crushed crackers, seasonings, salt and pepper. Fresh or canned clams can be used to prepare the dish, and flour can be used to thicken the mixture. The dish is typically cooked by baking. Clam pie is a part of the cuisine of New England.
|Part of a series on|
White clam pie is a pizza variety in New Haven, Connecticut, and is typically prepared using pizza dough, clams, olive oil, grated Romano cheese, garlic and oregano. The dish originated at the Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana restaurant in the Wooster Square neighborhood of New Haven, and was first prepared there sometime in the 1950s.
- Phillips, D. (2005). Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You'll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead. Harvard Common Press. p. 366. ISBN 978-1-55832-260-8.
- Dojny, B. (2015). The New England Clam Shack Cookbook, 2nd Edition. Storey Publishing, LLC. p. 174. ISBN 978-1-61212-239-7.
- Standish, M. (1997). Seafood: Down East Recipes. Down East Books. p. 12. ISBN 978-1-60893-425-6.
- Stavely, K.W.F.; Fitzgerald, K. (2011). Northern Hospitality: Cooking by the Book in New England. University of Massachusetts Press. p. 298. ISBN 978-1-55849-861-7.
- Shields, J.; Kirschbaum, J. (2015). Chesapeake Bay Cooking with John Shields. Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 91. ISBN 978-1-4214-1816-2.
- Zippe, Nancy Coale (February 3, 2015). "Clam pie is culinary history in a crust". The News Journal. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Frederick, J.G.; Joyce, J. (2012). Long Island Seafood Cookbook. Dover Publications. p. 281. ISBN 978-0-486-14448-1.
- Barrett, L.; Abate, L.; Caporuscio, R.; Bello, M.; Bruno, S. (2014). Pizza, A Slice of American History. Voyageur Press. p. 58. ISBN 978-0-7603-4560-3.
- Sietsema, Robert (August 10, 2016). "Denino's Kills It in Greenwich Village With the City's Best Clam Pizza". Eater NY. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Waxman, J.; Colicchio, T. (2011). Italian, My Way: More Than 150 Simple and Inspired Recipes That Breathe New Life into Italian Classics. Simon & Schuster. p. 80. ISBN 978-1-4516-1108-3.