Clapham Common tube station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of Clapham Common in Greater London
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1900||Opened as terminus (C&SLR)|
|1926||Became through station|
|Added to list||27 March 1981|
|Lists of stations|
Clapham Common is a London Underground station in Clapham within the London Borough of Lambeth. It is on the Northern line, between Clapham North and Clapham South stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
|This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (March 2015)|
The station is at the eastern tip of Clapham Common and was opened in June 1900 as the new southern terminus of the City & South London Railway, which was extended from Stockwell. It remained the terminus until the Morden extension was opened in 1926.
The station today
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The station has two entrances, one at the west via a domed building dating from the 1920s, and one at the east via a modern curved-steel and glass pavilion.
Clapham Common is one of eight London Underground stations that have a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath them. Both entrances to the shelter are north of the station on Clapham High Street.
Services and connections
For 2 weeks in September 2016, all of the adverts used in the station were replaced by photos of cats. This was an initiative paid for on crowdfunding site Kickstarter and organized by an organisation called The Citizens Advertising Takeover Service (C.A.T.S).
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. April 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- Historic England. "Entrance Building to Clapham Common Tube Station (1065005)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Transport for London (January 2016). Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 January 2015.
- "Northern line timetable: From Clapham Common Underground Station to Clapham North Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Northern line timetable: From Clapham Common Underground Station to Clapham South Underground Station". Transport for London. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Buses from Clapham Common" (PDF). Transport for London. July 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Clapham Common Underground Station - Bus
- "Crowdfunding Replaced The Ads At A London Underground Station With Cat Photos". Jalopnik. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "The Citizens Advertising Takeover Service (C.A.T.S)". Kickstarter. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clapham Common tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive Station in 1925
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|