Clapham North tube station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The station entrance
Location of Clapham North in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Lambeth|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Clapham High Street |
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||City and South London Railway|
|3 June 1900||Opened as Clapham Road|
|13 September 1926||Renamed Clapham North|
|Lists of stations|
Clapham North is an Underground station in Clapham, London. It is on the Northern line between Clapham Common and Stockwell. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 2, at the northern end of Clapham High Street, and a short walk away from Clapham High Street railway station. Although there is no direct interchange between the two, it is counted as an Out of Station Interchange using Oyster, so journeys involving a change between the two are charged as through journeys and not two separate journeys.
The station opened as Clapham Road on 3 June 1900 as part of an extension of the City & South London Railway to Clapham Common, one stop to the south. The station, designed by T. P. Figgis, is one of two remaining stations that has an island platform in the station tunnel, serving both the northbound and southbound lines; the other is Clapham Common. The original station building was replaced in the mid-1920s when the line was modernised and the original building was remodelled by Charles Holden. The ticket hall was rebuilt after the installation of escalators and Figgis's station facade was replaced with biscuit-cream faience slabs and black coping tiles to the parapet walls. In turn the station has recently had its façade reclad. The station's name was changed to Clapham North on 13 September 1926 after the line was extended to Morden that year.
Clapham North is one of eight London Underground stations which has a deep-level air-raid shelter beneath it.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. May 2011. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. April 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Out of Station Interchange (OSI)". Oyster and National Rail (independent guide). 26 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- Rose, Douglas (December 2007) . The London Underground: A Diagrammatic History (8th ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 978-1-85414-315-0.
- "Clapham High Street - History". claphamhighstreet.co.uk. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clapham North tube station.|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|