Irish: Caisleán Chláraigh
|Location||Clara Upper, Clara,|
County Kilkenny, Ireland
|Height||20 m (66 ft)|
|Official name||Clara Castle|
Clara Castle was built in the late 15th/early 16th century by the Shortall family, who lived there until c. 1640. Henry Johnson occupied the castle in the Cromwellian period, and it later passed to the Byrnes; occupants include Anthony Byrne (1656–1720), Lewis Byrne (1690–1766), Mathew Byrne (1694–1754), Anthony Byrne (1725–1810), Michael Byrne (1762–1835). The castle was occupied up until 1905.
Clara Castle is five storeys tall with a vault above the third floor. On the north side is a bawn measuring 10 m × 22 m (33 ft × 72 ft). The building retains many of its original oak doors and floor beams. There is a murder-hole above the entrance, which is also protected by a yett and drawbar.
The second floor, probably the lord's chamber, has a hooded chimneypiece, mural passage, garderobe and a small bedroom. It was originally painted blue and one wall has a Crucifixion mural. The floor above, contains a secret chamber.
The top floor chamber is the largest and best-lit room in the castle, used for general family living. Its large lintelled fireplace is a secondary insertion, so the fireplace in this room must originally have been in the centre of the floor. The roof above is modern, while the parapets are crenellated in the Irish style with loopholes, alure, machicolation and weeps.
- Leask, H. G. (1 January 1937). "Clara Castle, Co. Kilkenny". The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. 7 (2): 284–289. JSTOR 25513886.
- Byrne-Rothwell, Daniel (1 January 2010). The Byrnes and the O'Byrnes. House of Lochar. ISBN 9781904817048 – via Google Books.
- Byrne-Rothwell, D. (2010). The Byrnes and the O'Byrnes. Vol. 2. House of Lochar. p. 254. ISBN 9781904817048. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Clara Castle, Kilkenny".
- Gomme, Andor; Maguire, Alison (1 January 2008). Design and Plan in the Country House: From Castle Donjons to Palladian Boxes. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300126457 – via Google Books.
- "Clara Castle, County Kilkenny".
- "Clara Castle".
- "Clara Castle".