Clara Eaton Cummings
|Clara Eaton Cummings|
|Born||13 July 1855
Plymouth, New Hampshire, USA
|Died||28 December 1906
Concord, New Hampshire, USA
Life and education
Cummings was born in Plymouth, New Hampshire, on July 13, 1855 to Noah Conner and Elmira George Cummings. In 1876, she enrolled at the women's liberal arts college Wellesley, only one year after the opening of the institution.
Cummings primarily studied cryptogamous (spore-reproducing) plants such as mosses and lichens. She characterized hundreds of lichen specimens but was "very conservative" on declaring new species. Much of her work appeared in the books of other botanists, although she did publish a catalog of liverworts and mosses of North America in 1885.
She became a curator at the botanical museum at Wellesley from 1878-79 and was hired at Wellesley as an associate professor of botany for the 1879 school year. In 1886 and 1887 she studied under Dr. Arnold Dodel at the University of Ziirich where she did private work and prepared charts for a Crytogamic Botany illustration. While in Europe, she traveled to various botanical gardens to study some of the great botanists. After returning from Zurich, Cummings became an associate professor of cyptogamic botany at Wellesey.
Cummingse was an associate editor of Plant World and named a fellow of the American Association of the Society of Plant Morphology and Physiology in 1904. She was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Boston Society of Natural History.
- Catalogue of Musci and Hepaticae of North America, North of Mexico (1885)
- The Lichens of Alaska (1904)
- The Granite Monthly: A New Hampshire Magazine. Granite Monthly Co. 1907-01-01.
- Palmieri, Patricia Ann. In Adamless Eden: The Community of Women Faculty at Wellesley. p. 117.
- Cummings, Clara (1885). Catalogue of Musci and Hepaticae of North America, North of Mexico. Howard and Stiles.
- Kiser, Helene Barker (1999). "Clara Eaton Cummings". In Pamela Proffitt. Notable Women Scientists. Gale Group. pp. 119–120. ISBN 0-7876-3900-1.
- "Wellesley news : Free Download & Streaming". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- Fink, Bruce (3 May 1907). "A Memoir of Clara E. Cummings". The Bryologist 10: 37–41. doi:10.1639/0007-2745(1907)10[37:amocec]2.0.co;2.
- Riddle, Lincoln W. (1912-05-01). "An Enumeration of Lichens Collected by Clara Eaton Cummings in Jamaica: I". Mycologia 4 (3): 125–140. doi:10.2307/3753489.
- "Cummings, Clara Eaton (1855-1906) on JSTOR". doi:10.5555/al.ap.person.bm000045679.
- "Author Query for 'Cumm.'". International Plant Names Index.
- Cummings, Clara Eaton. The lichens of Alaska,. [Washington,.