She graduated from the University of Pisa with a PhD degree in 1960. She was a Research Assistant at University College, London, with Andrew F. Huxley. She has taught at the University of Pennsylvania since 1975.
Dr. Franzini-Armstrong was inducted into the National Academy of Sciences in 1995.
- Andrew Engel, Clara Franzini-Armstrong (eds) Myology: basic and clinical, Volume 2, McGraw-Hill, 1994, ISBN 978-0-07-019559-2
- Andrew Engel, Clara Franzini-Armstrong, Myology: Dystrophinopathies, McGraw-Hill, 2004, ISBN 978-0-07-137180-3
- Robert Malcolm Simmons, ed. (1992). "The structure of the triad: local stimulation experiments then and now". Muscular contraction. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-41774-7.
- Biophysicists in Profile, Clara Franzini-Armstrong, Biophysics Society Newsletter, August 2009
- "Clara Franzini-Armstrong, Ph.D. Cell and Developmental Biology; Faculty and Administration". Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. 2008-08-14. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- "Welcome to The Pennsylvania Muscle Institute". Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- "The Rudy Clarenburg Lecture Series, Franzini-Armstrong". Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine. Retrieved 2013-12-31.