Clara H. Hasse
|Clara Henriette Hasse|
|Died||10 October 1926
|Fields||Botanist focused on plant pathology|
|Institutions||Bureau of Plant Industry, U.S. Department of Agriculture; Florida Agricultural Experiment Station|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Known for||Identified the cause of citrus canker|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||C.H.Hasse|
After graduating from the University of Michigan in 1903 with a PhB. She went to Washington, D.C., to take up an appointment as assistant horticulturist and botanist in the Bureau of Plant Industry at the U.S. Department of Agriculture under Erwin Frink Smith, the USDA's pathologist-in-charge. Hasse was one of the twenty assistants that Smith hired during his tenure at the USDA. She later worked at the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station. Hasse died at her home in Muskegon, Michigan, aged 46.
Her paper "Pseudomonas citri, the cause of Citrus canker", published in the Journal of Agricultural Research in 1915, was the first to identify the cause of citrus canker. While originally it was believed that citrus canker was of fungoid origin, Hasse found that bacteria are at its source. The discovery led to the development of methods for controlling the disease which saved the citrus crops in Florida, Alabama, Texas and Mississippi from being wiped out.
- Pseudomonas citri, the cause of Citrus canker (1915). Journal of Agricultural Research
- Rossiter, Margaret W. (September 1980). ""Women's Work" in Science, 1880-1910". Isis (The University of Chicago Press on behalf of The History of Science Society) 71 (3): 381–398. doi:10.1086/352540. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Michigan, University of (1900-01-01). Calendar of the University of Michigan for ... The University.
- "Clara H. Hasse (1880?-1926)". Collection Record. Smithsonian Institution Archives. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- The Michigan Alumnus (1926), Volume 33, p. 284
- PSEUDOMONAS CITRI, THE CAUSE OF CITRUS CANKER (archive.org book reader)PSEUDOMONAS CITRI, THE CAUSE OF CITRUS CANKER (archive.org text version), Clara Hasse, Journal of Agricultural Research, 2015-10, Volume 4, p. 97.
- CITRUS CANKER, Frederick Wolf, Journal of Agricultural Research, 2016-10, Volume 6, p. 68.
- "Author Query for 'C.H.Hasse'". International Plant Names Index.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- "Biography of Clara H. Hasse". Biographies.
- Hasse, Clara H. "Pseudomonas citri, the cause of Citrus canker". Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. IV, No. I, 15 April 1915
|This article about an American botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|