Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
|Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center|
|Location||210 West Temple Street|
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Opening||October 26, 1972|
|Floor area||850,000 square feet (79,000 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect(s)||Adrian Wilson Associates|
|Structural engineer||Adrian Wilson|
The Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center (formerly known as the Criminal Courts Building) is the county criminal courthouse in downtown Los Angeles, California, United States. It is located at 210 West Temple Street, between Broadway and Spring Street.
Originally known as the Criminal Courts Building, in 2002 it was renamed the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center, after Clara S. Foltz, the first female lawyer on the west coast of the United States (and also the first person to propose the creation of a public defender's office).
The building houses the main offices of the Los Angeles County Public Defender.
- Richard Ramirez murder trial
- O. J. Simpson murder trial
- Phil Spector murder trial
- Helen Golay and Olga Rutterschmidt – 2008 murder trial
- Lonnie Franklin Jr. aka The Grim Sleeper serial killer trial
- BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant murder trial
- Trial of Dr. Conrad Murray for the death of Michael Jackson
- Harvey Weinstein for his sexual assault trials
- Trial of Ron Jeremy for sexual assault.
High-profile trials are held on the ninth floor of the building, with a secondary screening area in addition to the main screening at the ground floor level. The eighth and tenth floors are inaccessible from the public elevators and stairwells.
- Turpin, Dick (1972-08-06). "New Home for Criminal Courts". Los Angeles Times. p. I1. Retrieved 2008-09-01.
- Zeman, Ray (1972-11-30). "New Courts Building Criticized". Los Angeles Times. p. OC9. Retrieved 2008-09-01.
- "Judge Tosses One Of 11 Counts Against Harvey Weinstein". Archived from the original on 2021-08-13.
- "Women say they met porn actor Jeremy for fun, rape came next". Archived from the original on 2021-09-30.
- Roger M. Grace (June 7, 2010). "Bugliosi vs. Garcetti: Author Opens Fire on District Attorney". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- McDevitt, Ray; Ronald M. George, Chief Justice of California (Forward) (2001). Courthouses of California: an Illustrated History. Berkeley, CA: California Historical Society. 365 pp. ISBN 1-890771-49-X.