Clare, New York
Clare, New York
|• Total||97.26 sq mi (251.89 km2)|
|• Land||96.50 sq mi (249.92 km2)|
|• Water||0.76 sq mi (1.97 km2)|
|Elevation||1,148 ft (350 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1.09/sq mi (0.42/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978828|
The Town of Clare is in the south-central part of the county and is south of the Village of Canton, the county seat.
The Town of Clare, formed in 1880 from part of the Town of Peirrepont, was the last town formed in the county. Madam De Stael, a French author, at one time invested in the town lands, on the advice of her friend Gouverneur Morris, while it was still part of Pierrepont.
A history in 1894 indicated that almost no business existed in the town, and there were no organized churches.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 97.3 square miles (252 km2), of which, 96.6 square miles (250 km2) of it is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) of it (0.67%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 112 people, 46 households, and 32 families residing in the town. The population density was 1.2 people per square mile (0.4/km²). There were 106 housing units at an average density of 1.1 per square mile (0.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.54% White, 1.79% Native American, 0.89% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.89% of the population.
There were 46 households out of which 28.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.2% were married couples] living together, 4.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 26.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 27.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 111.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,667, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $25,625 versus $50,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,453. There were 6.7% of families and 12.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including 6.5% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
Communities and locations in Clare
- Brouses Corners – a location north of Clare village on County Road 27 (Clare Road).
- Canton Farm – A location in the eastern part of Clare by the Grass River.
- Clare – The hamlet of Clare is in the northwest part of the town on County Road 27.
- Clarksboro – A location south of Clare village in the eastern part of Clare.
- Moores Landing Strip (1E8) – A small grass runway airport south of Clare village.
- Newbridge – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town.
- Lampson Falls – A gorgeous collection of waterfalls down a nice trail right on 27.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 5, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.