|Known for||Art critic, Curator, Broadcaster, Printmaker|
|Spouse(s)||Phillip A Bruno|
Life and career
Henry was born in Sheffield in England. She attended Queen Elizabeth's Academy which is in Nottinghamshire. and graduated in Fine Art from Reading University. She worked as a researcher for the Paul Mellon Foundation for British Art. During the 1970s she was involved with the Glasgow Print Studio, latterly as Chairman.
Henry was chief art critic for The Herald from 1980 to 2000. During this period she would write on average four articles per week with an emphasis on Scottish art. From 2000 she was chief American art critic for the Financial Times until 2008, based in New York.
In 1983 Henry curated an exhibition for the UK arts festival, Britain Salutes New York. This led to a series of curatorial projects including one at London's Serpentine in 1985, Edinburgh Festival in 1986, selecting "The Vigorous Imagination" exhibition at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in 1987, which culminated in 1990 when she was curator for Scotland at the 44th Venice Biennale. In 2013 Henry donated her 30-year archive of original drafts to Glasgow School of Art.
She married Phillip A Bruno, an American gallery director in 2002 at St. Peters Church in New York.
- "Glasgow Women's Library: Clare Henry's Article Archive comes to GWL". womenslibray.org.uk. Retrieved 29 July 2015..
- Miller, Phil (9 January 2014). "Former Herald art critic donates huge archive to students". heraldscotland. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- Queen Elizabeth's Academy, Retrieved 1 September 2015
- "Debrett's People of Today Profile Clare Henry Biography". Debrett's. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 29 July 2015..
- Papers of Clare Henry, art critic and journalist, 1981-2007, Glasgow School of Art Archives, Retrieved 3 May 2019
- "The Glasgow Herald Apr. 16, 1983, page 7, Scottish prints set to dazzle the New World". Retrieved 29 July 2015..
- "The Glasgow Herald Aug. 27, 1985, page 4, Art critic turned judge". news.google.com. Retrieved 29 July 2015..
- "The Vigorous Imagination New Scottish Art". British Council. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Scotland at the Venice Biennale 1990". scotlandandvenice.com. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "The New York Times, March 3, 2002, Weddings; Clare Henry, Phillip Bruno". nytimes.com. Archived from the original on 27 May 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.