Kolb (left) and Max Dill.
July 31, 1874|
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
|Died||November 25, 1964
Hollywood, California, USA
|Years active||1916 to 1957|
|Spouse(s)||May Cloy (1917-?)
Mabel Kolb (1915-1964) (his death)
He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the only child of second generation Austrian parents who owned a local meat company.
Kolb started out as one half of a vaudeville comedy team, Kolb and Dill, with Max Dill. They styled their act on the famous team, Weber and Fields. In addition to their stage work, they appeared in a series of short films and a feature length movie in 1917. Afterwards, Kolb made a return to vaudeville, and he only returned to the movies in the late 1930s.
He became famous for portraying the same type of character in many films, namely a politician or businessman. He is best remembered for his role as the grumpy father in the multi-Academy Awards nominated hit comedy film Merrily We Live (1938), the corrupt mayor in the comedy His Girl Friday (1940), and as Mr. Honeywell in the television sitcom My Little Margie (1952). Kolb played himself in his last movie appearance, Man of a Thousand Faces (1957), opposite Danny Beck (who played the late Max Dill).
Clarence Kolb died at age 90 of a stroke at the Orchard Gables Sanitarium at 1277 North Wilcox Avenue in Hollywood. He is interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.
- The Toast of New York (1937)
- Merrily We Live (1938)
- Carefree (1938)
- Give Me a Sailor (1938)
- Good Girls Go to Paris (1939)
- The Amazing Mr. Williams (1939)
- Honolulu (1939)
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (1939)
- Five Little Peppers at Home(1940)
- His Girl Friday (1940)
- No Time for Comedy (1940)
- Bedtime Story (1941)
- Nothing But The Truth (1941)
- Caught in the Draft (1941)
- Hellzapoppin' (1941)
- The Night of January 16th (1941)
- The Falcon in Danger (1943)
- The Sky's the Limit (1943)
- Three Is a Family (1944)
- Where There's Life (1947)
- The Pilgrim Lady (1947)
- Impact (1949)
- Adam's Rib (1949)
- The Rose Bowl Story (1952)
- "Clarence Kolb, Veteran Actor, Dies Here at 90." Los Angeles Times. Nov. 26, 1964. p. A 12.
- California Death Index, Name: Clarence W. Kolb, Birth Date: 07-31-1874, Sex: Male, Birth Place: Ohio, Death Place: Los Angeles (70), Death Date: 11-25-1964, SSN: 565-18-7770, Age: 90 yrs.
- Social Security Death Index, Name: Clarence Kolb, Birth: July 31, 1875 [sic-?], SSN: 565-18-7770, Issued: California, Death: Nov 1964, Last Residence: (California).