Clarendon Square Shopping Centre
|Location||Hyde, Tameside, Greater Manchester|
|Opening date||1994 (current building)|
|Management||Commercial Real estate Management Limited|
|Owner||MCR Property Group|
|No. of stores and services||69 Stores (2008)|
|No. of anchor tenants||3|
|Total retail floor area||122,500 sq ft (11,380 m2)|
Clarendon Square Shopping Centre is a Shopping Centre in Hyde, Greater Manchester. It is surrounded by other shopping streets with other retailers and provides a host of well-known chain stores and independents, along with containing the towns indoor Market Hall and outside the main frontage the outdoor market. It was originally opened in 1963, but has since been redeveloped and renamed. It consists of a main mall, and accesses to the Market Hall, along with additional sections of mall at the eastern end. It is next to the other major shopping areas of the town centre, such as Market Place and Market Street, and it is also close to the towns 2 major supermarkets, Asda and Morrisons.
The centre was opened in 1963 by the Metropolitan Railway Surplus Land company as an open air precinct, but by 1980 it was in decline, with consistent vandalism combined with poor construction materials and appearance deterring retailers from locating within it. In 1990 the freeholders of the precinct, the local council (TMBC) and other organisations stepped in to sort out the centre and initiate a redevelopment strategy. In 1994 that plan was made a reality with the centre extended and made undercover, along with a new market hall and increased retail space. It is now extremely popular within the catchment area and it boasts a number of well-known chain stores such as B&M, O2, Argos and Gamestation. It is now owned by Manchester-based property group, MCR Property Group.
The towns main bus station is located about 5 minutes walk away, and this provides a range of services to destinations across Greater Manchester and beyond.
- "MCR Property Group - Commercial Purchases". MCR Property Group. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "Clarendon Square Shopping Centre, Hyde, Cheshire, Think Local! - How to Find Us!". Clarendon Square Shopping Centre. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "Clarendon Square Shopping Centre, Hyde, Cheshire, Think Local! - Store Directory". Clarendon Square Shopping Centre. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- "Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council - Hyde Market". Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council. 2006-10-20. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- Clarendon Square Shopping Centre Website
- MCR Property Ltd (Owners)
- Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council