||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Brad Templeton, 2014
April 20, 1960 |
near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||software architect, entrepreneur|
|Parent(s)||Charles Templeton, Sylvia Murphy|
Templeton is considered one of the early luminaries of Usenet, and in 1989 founded ClariNet Communications Corporation, which used Usenet protocols to distribute news articles, one of the first commercial examples of electronic publishing. In his "Net History in Brief" post, he coined the phrase Imminent death of net predicted. He also founded Looking Glass Software (not the same company as Looking Glass Studios), and was involved in the development of a number of software packages.
He was the chairman of the board of the Electronic Frontier Foundation for ten years until February 2010, when he relinquished his tenure to John Buckman. Templeton remains on the board of the EFF. He created the Usenet newsgroup rec.humor.funny in 1987 and moderated it from 1987 to 1992. To Commodore users he's probably best known for Power (a C compiler) and the assembler PAL.
Templeton is widely known in the Internet and legal community for writing about political and social issues related to computing and networks. One of the most frequently-cited works on Internet copyright law is his 10 Big Myths of Copyright Explained. Templeton also serves on the advisory council of Represent.Us, a nonpartisan anti-corruption organization.
- Templeton, Brad (2001-12-21). "I Remember USENET". O'Reilly Media. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- 10 Year Term of EFF Chairman Winds Down with EFF's 20th Anniversary Tonight
- The Creation of rec.humor.funny
- Jim Lawless (1996-07-01). "Brad Templeton: The Programmer's Friend". C= Hacking. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Proline Software magazine ad image". Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "10 Big Myths of Copyright Explained". Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "About | Represent.Us". End corruption. Defend the Republic. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brad Templeton.|