Claridon Township, Marion County, Ohio
|Claridon Township, Marion County, Ohio|
Location of Claridon Township in Marion County
|• Total||36.8 sq mi (95.4 km2)|
|• Land||36.8 sq mi (95.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||997 ft (304 m)|
|• Density||70.3/sq mi (27.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086576|
Claridon Township is one of the fifteen townships of Marion County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,587 people in the township, 2,009 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Scott Township - north
- Tully Township - northeast corner
- Canaan Township, Morrow County - east
- Cardington Township, Morrow County - southeast corner
- Richland Township - south
- Pleasant Township - southwest corner
- Marion Township - west
- Grand Prairie Township - northwest corner
The village of Caledonia is located in northeastern Claridon Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Claridon Township is located in Geauga County. During the early formation of Marion County, the community of Claridon was considered as a possible location for the Marion County's county seat, however it lost out to the more centrally located village of Marion, Ohio.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Marion County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.