|Predecessor||The Intellectual Property and Science business of Thomson Reuters|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, United States |
London, United Kingdom
|Jerre Stead (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$1.25 billion (2020)|
Number of employees
Clarivate is an British-American publicly traded analytics company that operates a collection of subscription-based services, in the areas of bibliometrics and scientometrics; business / market intelligence, and competitive profiling for pharmacy and biotech, patents, and regulatory compliance; trademark protection, and domain and brand protection. In the academy and the scientific community, Clarivate is known for being the company which calculates the impact factor,  using data from its Web of Science product family, that also includes services/applications such as Publons, EndNote, EndNote Click, and ScholarOne. Its other product families are Cortellis, DRG, CPA Global, Derwent, MarkMonitor, CompuMark, and Darts-ip,  and also the various ProQuest products and services.
Clarivate was formed in 2016, following the acquisition of Thomson Reuters' Intellectual Property and Science Business by Onex Corporation and Baring Private Equity Asia. Clarivate has been growing fast by numerous acquisitions: in the 5 years since its incorporation Clarivate bought over a dozen companies in the information service industry (see below). Despite raising anti-monopoly concerns, in some cases Clarivate acquired companies that were direct competitors of each other. Perhaps the most notable example of this was the purchase of ProQuest for $5.3 billion in December 2021, that was a competitor of the Web of Science (owned by Clarivate since 2017).
Clarivate reported its gross profit margin as 64% (in 2019)  and its EBIDTA profit margin as 45% (in 2021), which places it in the range of entertainment software and tobacco industries, and ahead of pharmaceutical, oil/gas and cell phone industries. Clarivate has been criticized for its anti-competitive practices in a highly oligopolistic academic database market, for increasing the prices of the products it acquired, for the lack of further development and integration of the acquired products, for not developing its own products, for outsourcing jobs from the USA and UK to India, and for eliminating telephone support for many of the acquired products.
Clarivate (formerly Clarivate Analytics) was formerly the Intellectual Property and Science division of Thomson Reuters. Before 2008, it was known as Thomson Scientific. In 2016, Thomson Reuters struck a $3.55 billion deal in which they spun it off as an independent company, and sold it to private-equity firms Onex Corporation and Baring Private Equity Asia.
- June 1, 2017: Publons, a platform for researchers to share recognition for peer review.
- April 10, 2018: Kopernio, AI-tech startup providing ability to search for full-text versions of selected scientific journal articles.
- October 30, 2018: TrademarkVision, provider of Artificial Intelligence (AI) trademark research applications.
- September 9, 2019: SequenceBase, provider of patent sequence information and search technology to the biotech, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- December 2, 2019: Darts-ip, provider of case law data and analytics for intellectual property (IP) professionals.
- January 17, 2020: Decision Resources Group (DRG), a leading healthcare research and consulting company, providing high-value healthcare industry analysis and insights.
- June 22, 2020: CustomersFirst Now, in intellectual property (“IP”) software and tech-enabled services.
- October 1, 2020: CPA Global, intellectual property (“IP”) software and tech-enabled services.
- Dec 1, 2021: ProQuest, software, data and analytics provider to academic, research and national institutions. It was acquired for $5.3 billion from Cambridge Information Group in what was described as a "huge deal in the library and information publishing world". The company said that the operational concept behind the acquisition was integrating ProQuest's products and applications with Web of Science. Chairman of ProQuest Andy Snyder became the vice chairman of Clarivate. The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, an advocacy group for open access to scholarship, voiced antitrust concerns. The acquisition had been delayed mid-year due to a Federal Trade Commission antitrust probe.
Products and services
Web of Science
- Emerging Sources Citation Index covers more than 7,800 journals in all disciplines. Coverage is from 2005 to present, with over 3 million records
- Science Citation Index Expanded -previously entitled Science Citation Index- covers more than 9,200 journals across 178 scientific disciplines. Coverage is from 1900 to present day, with over 53 million records
- Social Sciences Citation Index covers more than 3,400 journals in the social sciences. Coverage is from 1900 to present, with over 9.3 million records
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index covers more than 1,800 journals in the arts and humanities. Coverage is from 1975 to present, with over 4.9 million records
- Book Citation Index covers more than 116,000 editorially selected books. Coverage is from 2005 to present, with over 53.2 million records
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index covers more than 205,000 conference proceedings. Coverage is from 1990 to present, with over 70.1 million records
Web of Science includes other products providing data, analytics, insights, workflow tools, and professional services to researchers, universities, research institutions, governments, private and public research funding organizations, publishers, and research-intensive corporations.
- EndNote Click (formerly Kopernio) is a freely available plugin allowing researchers to access papers in subscription-based scientific journals, to which they are subscribed through their higher education libraries, even when the user is off-campus. Using artificial intelligence, the tool automatically records the institutional subscriptions each user has and searches for full-text versions of selected papers to which the user may have access.
- Publons is a commercial website that provides a free service for academics to track, verify, and showcase their peer review and editorial contributions for academic journals. It was launched in 2012 and was bought by Clarivate in 2017. It claims that over 3,000,000 researchers have joined the site, adding more than one million reviews across 25,000 journals. In 2019, ResearcherID was integrated with Publons.
- Journal Citation Reports
- Essential Science Indicators
As Clarivate acquired ProQuest, various products of ProQuest are being operated under Clarivate, which encompasses products that ProQuest had taken on relatively recently, through acquisitions of its own—notably those of Innovative Interfaces: Vega, Sierra, Polaris, Millennium, and Virtua.
- Cortellis Regulatory Intelligence
- Cortellis Competitive Intelligence
- Cortellis Clinical Trials Intelligence
- Cortellis Deals Intelligence
- Cortellis Drug Discovery Intelligence
- Cortellis Digital Health Intelligence
- Cortellis Generics Intelligence (formerly Newport)
- Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) Intelligence
Other database products and services used for searching and analyzing patents; IP administration and prosecution support services to support the IP lifecycle include:
- Derwent Innovation
- Derwent SequenceBase
- Derwent Data Analyzer
Information services used by brand and trademark professionals to evaluate new potential trademarks and monitor existing trademarks for infringement, including:
- SAEGIS®, online trademark screening
- TM go365, self-service trademark research application
- Full Search, analyst driven trademark searching
- Watching, trademark protection
Proprietary software and services for registering and managing the domain name portfolios, providing online brand protection, antipiracy and antifraud applications, including:
- MarkMonitor Domain Management
Annual lists and reports
Highly Cited Researchers
Clarivate publishes an annual Highly Cited Researchers list. The list compiles "the world's most influential researchers of the past decade, demonstrated by the production of multiple highly-cited papers that rank in the top 1% by citations for field and year in Web of Science." According to Clarivate, researchers are selected for their "exceptional performance" in one or more of 21 fields (those used in Clarivate Essential Science Indicators, or ESI) or across several fields. The 2019 list of Highly Cited Researchers was released on November 19, 2019.
Clarivate Citation Laureates
From 2002 to 2020, 59 individuals listed as Citation Laureates have received Nobel prizes.
Journal Citation Reports
Top 100 Global Innovators Report
The annual Top 100 Global Innovators report identifies the world's most innovative organizations. These businesses have successfully developed valuable patented inventions that also have strong commercialization potential based on market reach and impact on other downstream inventions. The 2020 Top 100 Global Innovators Report was released on February 19, 2020.
- List of academic databases and search engines
- Truven Health Analytics, another analytics company spun off from the Science and Healthcare unit of Thomson Reuters, later acquired by IBM
- RELX, a company that operates Scopus, which competes with WoS
- Singh, Vandana (2019-01-14). "Churchill Capital to merge with Clarivate Analytics". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 2019-01-16.
- "Clarivate Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results".
- Milliot, Jim (2021-12-03). "Clarivate Completes ProQuest Acquisition". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2021-12-04.
- ""Clarivate Analytics: New Name, Established Products" by Ojala, Marydee - Online Searcher, Vol. 41, Issue 3, May-June 2017". Archived from the original on 2019-09-01.
- O'Grady, Cathleen (2021-06-30). "Journal impact factor gets a sibling that adjusts for scientific field". Science. Retrieved 2021-12-05.
- "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science business by Onex and Baring Asia completed" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2016-10-03. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Mergers, acquisitions, and my tinfoil hat". August 16, 2021.
- ""Clarivate Income Statement"".
- "Clarivate to Acquire ProQuest". about.proquest.com.
- ""Margins by Sector (US)"". Archived from the original on 2022-01-27. Retrieved 2022-01-22.
- Pendlebury, D.A., Eugene garfield and the institute for scientific information, in Handbook Bibliometrics, De Gruyter, 2020, pp. 27-40 9783110646610 (ISBN); 9783110642278 (ISBN) https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110646610-005
- Schnell, J.D., Web of science: The first citation index for data analytics and scientometrics, in Research Analytics: Boosting University Productivity and Competitiveness through Scientometrics, CRC Press, 2017, pp. 15-30 9781498786386 (ISBN); 9781498785426 (ISBN) https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315155890
- Grant, Bob (2016-07-15). "Web of Science sold for more than $3 billion". The Scientist. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science business by Onex and Baring Asia completed" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2016-10-03. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Churchill Capital Corp Completes Merger with Clarivate Analytics Plc" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2016-10-03. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate Plc (CLVT)". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2021-11-16.
- "Clarivate Plc to Change NYSE Ticker Symbol to "CLVT" on February 1, 2021". Clarivate. Retrieved 2021-04-27.
- "New For-Profit Subsidiary of ASME Acquires Techstreet Standards Management Business from Clarivate - ASME". Retrieved 2021-08-08.
- Else, Holly (March 14, 2022). "Ukrainian researchers pressure journals to boycott Russian authors". Nature. 603 (7902): 559. Bibcode:2022Natur.603..559E. doi:10.1038/d41586-022-00718-y. PMID 35288680. S2CID 247452826 – via www.nature.com.
- Page, Benedicte. "Clarivate Analytics buys Publons". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate Analytics Acquires Research Startup Kopernio to Accelerate Pace of Scientific Innovation" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2018-04-10. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate Analytics to enhance AI-driven trademark research solutions with TrademarkVision acquisition" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2018-10-30. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate Analytics acquires the SequenceBase business to expand its search and analysis capabilities for the life sciences IP market" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate Analytics has Acquired Leading Provider of Intellectual Property Case Law and Analytics Darts-ip" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2019-12-02. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Clarivate to acquire Decision Resources Group". Clarivate Analytics. 2020-01-17. Retrieved 2020-01-17.
- "CustomersFirst Now, Now Part of Clarivate". CustomersFirst Now. 2020-06-22. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- "Clarivate Completes Acquisition of CPA Global to Form a Global Intellectual Property Powerhouse". Pr Newswire. 2020-10-01. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- Milliot, Jim; Albanese, Andrew (2021-05-17). "Clarivate to Buy ProQuest for $5.3 Billion". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2021-12-04.
- "Clarivate Successfully Completes Acquisition of ProQuest". Retrieved 2021-12-01.
- "Clarivate Purchase of ProQuest Delayed". Retrieved 2021-08-16.
- "Web of Science Databases". Clarivate. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Web of Science fact book" (PDF). Clarivate. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-04-11. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Emerging Sources Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Science Citation Index Expanded". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Social Sciences Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Arts & Humanities Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Book Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "Conference Proceedings Citation Index". Web of Science Group. Retrieved 2022-01-26.
- "World's largest publisher-neutral citation index and research intelligence platform". Web of Science Group.
- Else, Holly (2018-04-10). "Web of Science owner buys tool that offers one-click access to journal articles". Nature. doi:10.1038/d41586-018-04414-8. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Clarivate buys AI-technology start-up Kopernio". Research Information. 2018-04-10. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Publons". Publons. Retrieved 2022-01-25.
- Ravindran, Sandeep (2016-02-08). "Getting credit for peer review". Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- Spence, Paul: "Wellington startups that stayed up", in Idealog, 15 September 2016
- "Publons New Index Reveals Who is Doing Lion's Share of Peer Review". 3 October 2017.
- "Your ResearcherID of Web of Science moved to Publons". Wageningen University & Research. 2019-04-24. Retrieved 2021-12-06.
- "Clarivate set to acquire Ann Arbor's ProQuest in $5.3 billion deal" (Press release). Retrieved 2022-01-22.
- "Cortellis Suite of Products".
- http://www.stn-international.com web site, STN International: Derwent World Patents Index
- clarivate.com web site, Clarivate Analytics: Derwent World Patents Index
- "Home". Derwent.
- "Trademark research and protection that inspires confidence". CompuMark.
- "MarkMonitor - Domain management solutions, domain security". MarkMonitor. March 27, 2019.
- "Highly Cited Researchers". publons.com.
- "Global Highly Cited Researchers 2019 list reveals top talent in the sciences and social sciences" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2019-11-19. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- Cressey, Daniel (September 22, 2010). "Nobel predictions proliferate". Nature News & Comment (News blog).
- "Twenty-one 'Thomson Reuters Citation Laureates' Recognized for Their Contributions to the Advancement of Science". PR Newswire. Philadelphia and London: PR Newswire Association LLC. 2010. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- Pendlebury, David (2011). "The Methodology Behind the Predictions" (Online access). Choosing Thomson Reuters Citation Laureates. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Clarivate Repeats Nobel Laureate Prediction Success: Five 'Citation Laureates' Awarded 2020 Nobel Honors for Physics, Chemistry and Economics" (Press release). Clarivate. PR Newswire. 2020-10-13. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- Garfield, Eugene (2007). "The evolution of the Science Citation Index" (PDF). International Microbiology. 10 (1): 65–69. doi:10.2436/20.1501.01.10. PMID 17407063.
- "Overview". Journal Citation Reports. Thomson Reuters. 2010. Archived from the original on 25 June 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- "About Us". Thomson Reuters. 2010. Archived from the original on 1 January 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Venkatraman, Archana (September 2009). "Journals cherish IF status symbol: but impact factor is not the only citation metric that matters". Information World Review: 7.
- "New Clarivate Analytics Report Reveals Emergence of Market Disrupters is Fragmenting Global Patent Landscape, Diluting Leading Innovators' Invention Market Share" (Press release). Clarivate Analytics. PR Newswire. 2020-02-19. Retrieved 2020-10-22.
- Business data for Clarivate: