Gregg at the 2016 WonderCon
|Born||Robert Clark Gregg
April 2, 1962
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, director, screenwriter, voice actor|
|Spouse(s)||Jennifer Grey (m. 2001)|
Robert Clark Gregg (born April 2, 1962), known professionally as Clark Gregg, is an American actor, screenwriter and director. He has played Agent Phil Coulson in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, appearing in Iron Man (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), and the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. He also voices the character on the animated television series Ultimate Spider-Man and in the video games Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Lego Marvel Avengers and Marvel Heroes.
Gregg has also co-starred as Christine Campbell's ex-husband Richard in the CBS sitcom The New Adventures of Old Christine, which debuted in March 2006 and concluded in May 2010. He also played FBI Special Agent Mike Casper on the NBC series The West Wing and Cam, the on-and-off boyfriend of Jack (and client of Grace) on the NBC series Will & Grace.
Gregg was born April 2, 1962 in Boston, Massachusetts, to Mary Layne (née Shine) and Robert Clark Gregg, an Episcopal priest and Stanford University professor. His family moved around; he had lived in seven cities by the time he was 17. He attended high school in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where his father was a professor at nearby Duke University. He attended Ohio Wesleyan University for two years before dropping out and moving to Manhattan. He worked various jobs, such as being a bar back, a security guard at the Guggenheim Museum, and a parking valet at a restaurant. He later enrolled at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, where he studied drama and English, and graduated in 1986.
Gregg was a founding member, and later artistic director, of the off-Broadway Atlantic Theater Company, which formed in 1983. Gregg has been featured in a number of supporting roles in films, such as Lovely & Amazing, The Human Stain, and In Good Company, and a number of guest spots on TV series, such as Will & Grace, Sports Night, Sex and the City and The West Wing. He also wrote the screenplay for the 2000 thriller What Lies Beneath.
He is the director and screenwriter of the 2008 film Choke, based on the Chuck Palahniuk novel of the same name, starring Sam Rockwell. Gregg consulted his father, a retired religion professor at Stanford, for the quotation from Saint Paul's letter to the Galatians which Gregg used in Choke. Gregg's father is also the former chaplain at Stanford Memorial Church.
In 2008, Gregg appeared in the film Iron Man as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson. In 2010, Gregg reprised his role as Agent Coulson for Iron Man 2. Gregg had since signed up for a multiple film deal as the character with Marvel Studios. In 2011, he returned again as Coulson for Thor. Gregg noted his being a part of the expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe as being very exciting, "Agent Coulson was one of the guys who wasn't really in the comic books, and he was a very kind of small role in Iron Man," he said, "and I was just very lucky that they chose to expand that character and chose to put him more into the universe of it. It's really a blast!" Following on from his appearance in Thor, he again reprised his role in The Avengers. Gregg also stars in a series of Marvel short films that center around his character and can be seen on the Blu-ray releases of the films.
In October 2010, Gregg was part of the cast of a staged reading of Larry Kramer's The Normal Heart alongside Dylan Walsh, Lisa Kudrow, and Tate Donovan, presented in Los Angeles on the occasion of the play's 25th anniversary (and preceding the play's 2011 Broadway premiere, which retained elements of this staged reading); the reading was directed by his father-in-law, Joel Grey.
In late October 2012, Joss Whedon, Kevin Feige, and Gregg announced that he would be reprising his role as agent Phil Coulson in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series' pilot. On April 20, 2013, Trust Me, a film written and directed by Gregg, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival. The film found limited release in the United States in June 2014.
Gregg has been married since July 21, 2001 to actress Jennifer Grey; the couple co-starred in the Lifetime TV movie Road to Christmas. They have a daughter Stella, born December 3, 2001. He is a sober alcoholic, and describes himself as a member of a Jewish family (his wife is Jewish). He has a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
|1988||Things Change||Stage Manager|
|1989||Fat Man and Little Boy||Douglas Panton|
|1992||Lana in Love||Marty|
|1994||Ride Me||Jake Shank|
|1994||I Love Trouble||Darryl Beekman, Jr.|
|1994||Clear and Present Danger||Staff Sergeant|
|1995||The Usual Suspects||Dr. Walters|
|1997||The Spanish Prisoner||FBI Sniper|
|1997||The Last Time I Committed Suicide||Cop No. 1|
|1997||Six Ways to Sunday||Benjamin Taft|
|1998||The Adventures of Sebastian Cole||Hank/Henrietta Rossi|
|1999||Magnolia||WDKK Floor Director|
|2000||State and Main||Doug Mackenzie|
|2001||Artificial Intelligence: AI||Supernerd|
|2001||Lovely & Amazing||Bill|
|2002||One Hour Photo||Det. Paul Outerbridge|
|2002||We Were Soldiers||Capt. Tom Metsker|
|2003||The Human Stain||Nelson Primus|
|2004||In Enemy Hands||U.S.S. Swordfish: Executive Officer Teddy Goodman|
|2004||In Good Company||Mark Steckle|
|2006||When a Stranger Calls||Ben Johnson|
|2006||Bickford Shmeckler's Cool Ideas||Publisher|
|2007||In the Land of Women||Nelson Hardwicke|
|2007||The Air I Breathe||Henry|
|2008||Choke||Lord High Charlie||Also writer and director|
|2008||Iron Man||Agent Phil Coulson|
|2009||(500) Days of Summer||Vance|
|2010||Iron Man 2||Agent Phil Coulson|
|2011||Thor||Agent Phil Coulson|
|2011||Mr. Popper's Penguins||Nat Jones|
|2011||Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant||Agent Phil Coulson||Short|
|2011||Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer||Agent Phil Coulson||Short|
|2012||The Avengers||Agent Phil Coulson||Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2012||Much Ado About Nothing||Leonato|
|2012||Light Years||Mr. Markovic|
|2013||The To Do List||Judge George Klark|
|2013||Trust Me||Howard Holloway||Also writer and director|
|2014||Very Good Girls||Edward Berger|
|1988||Lip Service||Stage Manager||TV Movie|
|1991||Law & Order||Patrick Dunne||Episode: "Life Choice"|
|1991||Shannon's Deal||Mercer||2 episodes|
|1991||A Woman Named Jackie||Ken O'Donnell||TV Mini-series|
|1993||The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles||Dickinson||Episode: "Princeton, February 1916"|
|1994||The George Carlin Show||Dad||Episode: "George Does A Bad Thing"|
|1995||Tyson||Kevin Rooney||TV Movie|
|1995||The Commish||Tom Cannon||2 episodes|
|1995||Central Park West||Manager||Episode: "Behind Your Back"|
|1996||Touched by an Angel||Don Dudey||Episode: "Lost and Found"|
|2000||Sports Night||The Stranger||2 episodes|
|2000||Sex and the City||Harris Bragen||Episode: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"|
|2000||The Practice||Julie McGrath's Brother||Episode: "Brother's Keepers"|
|2001||The West Wing||FBI Special Agent Michael Casper||8 episodes|
|2002||My Sister's Keeper||Harvey||TV Movie|
|2002||Live from Baghdad||Eason Jordan||TV Movie|
|2003||Will & Grace||Cam||Episode: "May Divorce Be with You"|
|2004||The Shield||William Faulks||2 episodes|
|2005||CSI: NY||D.A. Allen McShane||Episode: "The Fall"|
|2006||The Road to Christmas||Tom Pullman||TV Movie|
|2006–2010||The New Adventures of Old Christine||Richard Campbell||Main cast
|2012–present||Ultimate Spider-Man||Agent Phil Coulson / Principal Coulson (voice)||Main cast
|2013–present||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Agent/Director Phil Coulson||Main cast
|2013||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Himself||Episode: "Clark Gregg Wears a Navy Blazer & White Collared Shirt"|
|2013||LEGO Marvel Super Heroes||Agent Phil Coulson||Voice only|
|2013||Marvel Heroes||Agent Phil Coulson||Voice only|
|2016||Lego Marvel's Avengers||Agent Phil Coulson||Voice only|
Awards and nominations
- "Clark Gregg". Hollywood.com; retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "NEWS MAKERS POP DIVA'S BABY BOY IS BAPTIZED". The Charlotte Observer. July 26, 2001.
- "Marriage Announcement: Grey, Gregg". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. October 22, 1961. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Priestly passions: Dean Robert Gregg talks about what's dear to his heart". News.stanford.edu. November 5, 1997. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- Dickson, Robert (December 1, 2011). "CAUGHT ON FILM". Carrborocitizen.com. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Ryan, Mike (May 1, 2012). "Clark Gregg, 'Avengers' Star, On Agent Coulson And Why He Hates The Los Angeles Lakers". The Huffington Post. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- "PARK CITY '08 INTERVIEW - "Choke" Director Clark Gregg". Indie Wire. January 3, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Alfuso, Renee (Spring 2014). "No Cape? No Problem". NYU Alumni Magazine. New York University (22). Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- lovebomb (January 27, 2010). "Forums | The Cult". Chuckpalahniuk.net. Archived from the original on 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- DVD commentary for Choke, 2008; and Robert C. Gregg, Stanford Department of Classics bio page. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- Bloom, Julie. "Clark Gregg". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- Marc Graser (January 18, 2010). "Gregg pulls double duty". Variety. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- Edward Douglas (April 27, 2010). "Exclusive: Clark Gregg on His Marvel Universe Future". Superhero Hype!. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- Gans, Andrew (May 6, 2010). "Dylan Walsh, Tate Donovan, Jon Tenney and More Join Cast of Normal Heart Reading". Playbill.com. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "NYCC: COULSON LIVES IN WHEDON'S "S.H.I.E.L.D."". Comic Book Resources. October 13, 2012. Archived from the original on October 13, 2012. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- "Trust Me First Clip". Filmofilia.com. April 17, 2013. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Brefly". USA Today. December 6, 2001, p. LIFE, 5D
- Reddit AMA (June 5, 2014). "I Am Clark Gregg", reddit.com; accessed June 6, 2014.
- "Interfaith Celebrities: Jennifer Grey Dances Again, Stuff His Da - InterfaithFamily".
- "Instagram". Instagram.
- Martin, Damon (December 18, 2013). "'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star Clark Gregg earns his brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu", foxsports.com; accessed April 24, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clark Gregg.|