Clarkstown High School South
|Clarkstown High School South|
|31 Demarest Mill Road
West Nyack, New York 10994
|School district||Clarkstown Central School District|
|Faculty||104.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.6|
|Color(s)||Brown and Gold|
|Newspaper||‘’The Viking Voice‘’|
Clarkstown High School South is a public high school located in West Nyack, New York. The school educates students in grades 9 through 12, and is one of two high schools in the Clarkstown Central School District (CCSD). It is commonly referred to as Clarkstown South, or simply "South." In 2013, Clarkstown South was ranked in Newsweek's list of the 2000 best public high schools in the United States. In 2016, Clarkstown South was ranked in Newsweek's list of the 500 top high schools in the United States, ranking 167th place.
Clarkstown South building consists of a main lobby, large auditorium, gymnasium (including a wrestling room and a fitness center), music wing, planetarium, two lunchrooms, and three floors of classrooms. The school is also known for having televisions in the hallway. In the fall of 2005, a planetarium was built in the rear of the building. A greenhouse was also constructed in 2006. South offers many music ensembles, including chorus, orchestra, concert band, and marching band.
The Vikings are also known for their success in many of their school groups. Clarkstown South takes pride in Junior Statesmen of America, DECA, National History Day, United Service Organization/Veterans Affairs Club, Mock Trial Team 2016 Westchester/Rockland County Champions, and Mu Alpha Theta chapter because of the many awards they bring home to their school.
- Jake Szymanski - actor
- Corey Baker (born 1989), baseball pitcher
- Frank Grillo, Actor (1981)
- Ryan Grant, NFL running back
- Justin Richardson (class of 1981), psychiatrist and book author
- High Schools. Clarkstown Central School District. Retrieved on 2014-02-14.
- "Clarkstown South Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Newsweek: 2013 America's Best High Schools
- Traum, Robin. "Longtime Summer Theater Program Takes Hiatus to Reorganize". Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Littman, Adam. "New Teen Summer Theater Group Opens Registration". Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Bumiller, Elisabeth (13 June 1997). "Same-Sex Academies Grapple With Parents' Concerns". NY Times. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|