Clarksville, Allegany County, New York
|Clarksville, New York|
The hamlet of Obi, as seen from New York State Route 305 in the town of Clarksville
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Ronald Truax (D, R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||36.30 sq mi (94.01 km2)|
|• Land||36.28 sq mi (93.96 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|• Density||32/sq mi (12.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST)|
|ZIP code||14786 (West Clarksville)|
Clarksville is a town located in Allegany County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the town had a total population of 1,161. The town is named after S.N. Clark, an agent of the Holland Land Company.
The town is in the southwest part of Allegany County, northeast of Olean.
The first settlers arrived around 1822. The town of Clarksville was founded in 1835, taking away part of the town of Cuba.
The west town line is the border of Cattaraugus County.
New York State Route 305 is an important north-south highway through the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,146 people, 447 households, and 324 families residing in the town. The population density was 31.6 people per square mile (12.2/km²). There were 766 housing units at an average density of 21.1 per square mile (8.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.34% White, 0.17% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 0.70% from two or more races. 0.17% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 447 households out of which 32.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.1% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 100.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $29,931, and the median income for a family was $35,000. Males had a median income of $29,917 versus $20,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,931. 14.4% of the population and 11.1% of families were below the poverty line. 20.7% of those under the age of 18 and 10.6% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in Clarksville
- Dodge Creek – A stream in the central part of the town, passing near West Clarksville and paralleling NY 305.
- Germantown – A location in the northwest corner of the town.
- North Clarkstown – A former location in the town.
- Obi – A hamlet on NY 305 near the south town line.
- West Clarksville – A hamlet by the junction of County Route 40 and NY 305 near the town center.
- Wolf Creek – A stream in the west part of the town.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Clarksville town, Allegany County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.