Clash Royale is a video game developed and published by Supercell. The game combines elements from collectible card games, tower defense, and multiplayer online battle arena. The game was released globally on March 2, 2016. Clash Royale reached $1 billion in revenue in less than a year on the market.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards, as section. (June 2018)
Clash Royale is a tower rush video game which pits players in games featuring two and four players (one on one or two on two) in which the objective is to destroy the most amount of opposing towers, with the destruction of the "King tower" being an instantaneous win.
In Clash Royale, players are ranked by their trophy count. Players level up by gaining Experience (or King Level) points through donating and/or upgrading cards. The highest possible level is level 13.
Trophies are won or lost through multiplayer battles, a player wins a battle by destroying more towers than the opponent (each destroyed tower being represented as a 'crown'), or by destroying the opponent's King's Tower, resulting in an automatic "three-crown" victory (unless the King's Tower was destroyed at the same time by both players, resulting in a draw).
There are twelve playing arenas in total (excluding the tutorial arena, Training Camp): Goblin Stadium, Bone Pit, Barbarian Bowl, P.E.K.K.A's Playhouse, Spell Valley, Builder's Workshop, Royal Arena, Frozen Peak, Jungle Arena, Hog Mountain, Electro Valley, and Legendary Arena, with each arena corresponding to a certain trophy count range.
Playable units, buildings, and spells are represented as cards. Prior to each battle (with the exception of the first battle in training Camp), players construct a deck of eight cards which they use to attack and defend against their opponent's cards. At the start of each game, both players begin with four randomly chosen cards from their deck of eight.
Each card costs a certain amount of elixir to play. Players start the battle with 5 elixir points (0 in Double and Triple Elixir modes), and one elixir point is replenished every 2.8 seconds (or 1.4 seconds in the final 60 seconds of the game and overtime, and every 0.9 seconds during Triple Elixir), with a maximum of 10 elixir points. Once a card is played, a new card is automatically drawn from the player's eight card deck.
As of June 2018[update] there are 86 cards in the game, coming in four rarities: Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary, with Legendary being the rarest.
In the 2018 Summer (June update), emote deck was added, players can now use up to eight emotes. Players can now choose any eight emotes from their emote collection (24 emotes). Players have to collect their emotes from the shop (excluding the 4 King emotes which were free ).
From level 1, players can form and join clans. Clan members may engage in 1v1 or 2v2 friendly battles with one another, where the outcome of which does not affect trophies or chests. The friendly battle feature allows live spectating from other clanmates. Clan members may also donate or request cards from one another starting from level three. Joining a clan allows you to take part in the Clan Wars (where you battle with your clan).
During the April 25, 2018 update, a new Clan Wars feature was added. Clan Wars consists of five clans attacking other clans to get better rewards in the form of special chests. The clan with the most wins would win the clan war. Players would receive a Clan war chest in a season of fourteen days. Clan Chests were also removed in the update and replaced with the new Clan War chests.
In July 2016, Supercell introduced a new Tournament feature. Tournaments are similar to normal battles, but cards are leveled down so commons are level 9, rares are level 7, epics are level 4, and legendary cards are level 1. This feature is unlocked at Level 5, but can only be played at level 8. Tournaments can only be created by using gems, and the creator can choose to make it password protected or open. Based on tournament performance, players are rewarded with tournament chests. As well as tournaments, there are two types of Victory Challenges in which the goal is to win twelve times while losing no more than three times. A Grand Challenge costs 100 gems to enter, and a Classic Challenge costs 10. Completing (or getting 12 wins on) a Classic Challenge gives you 2000 gold and 100 cards, and completing a Grand Challenge will give you 22,000 gold and 1,100 cards. Supercell has also added various event challenges, for limited periods of time, that add special features to the battles, or allow players to receive special cards. These event challenges can also be played in Friendly Battles. As of the October 2017 update, players would no longer get a refund on gems if no matches take place in their custom tournaments.
In March 2017, "Leagues" were added to the game. Once above 4000 trophies, players are placed in one of nine different leagues ranging from Challenger I to Ultimate Champion. At the end of each season, players receive rewards based on the highest league achieved during that season. Another feature that was introduced is Clan Battles. Two players get to battle side by side with another member of their clan facing off against two other opponents from another clan. This is the first update to include a new game mode.
The game was soft-launched in Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and New Zealand for iOS platforms on January 4, 2016. The game was soft-launched on Android for those same countries on February 16, 2016 in the form of an Android application package. Both platforms received a global release on March 2, 2016.
Clash Royale mainly received positive reviews, with TouchArcade's Eli Hodapp calling it "absolutely phenomenal" in his five-star review. Pocket Gamer's Harry Slater gave the game a score of 9/10, summing up "It's an incredible amount of rewarding fun, it's nail-biting at times, and there's content here that will keep you busy for weeks if not months." Writing for Geek.com, James Plafke criticized "Clash Royale for being genuinely fun—more so than Clash of Clans—while the developer chronically interrupts the player from enjoying it." Clash Royale has received a very positive response from its players, with an average score of 4.5 out of 5 on the Google Play Store and an average score of 4 out of 5 on the Apple App Store.
The Clash Royale Crown Championship is the official e-sports world championship of the game, developed by Supercell. The tournament connects the best players all over the world from North America, Asia, Latin America, Europe, and more. The first edition had over 28 million participants all over the world, becoming the world's largest Clash Royale event. The first world champion was Sergio Ramos who beat MusicMaster by 3 games to 1 on the Crown Championship World Finals. The 2018 Clash Royale Crown Championship is scheduled to be held in Asia.
|1||2017||Copper Box Arena, London||England||Sergioramos:)||MusicMaster||$150,000|||
Awards and nominations
|May 19, 2016||Google Play Awards||Best Game||Won|
|December 1, 2016||The Game Awards||Best Mobile/Handheld game||Nominated|
|April 6, 2017||British Academy Games Awards||AMD eSports Audience Award||Won|
|March 15, 2016||International Mobile Gaming Awards||Best Upcoming Game||Won|
|February 28, 2017||Best Multiplayer Game||Won|
|March 1, 2017||Game Developer Choice Awards||Best Mobile/Handheld Game||Nominated|
|March 16–18, 2017||SXSW Gaming Awards||Mobile Game of the Year||Nominated|
|April 27, 2017||Finnish Game Awards||The Small Screen Game of the Year 2016||Won|
|The Main Award – The Finnish Game of the Year 2016||Won|
|May 17–19, 2017||Nordic Game Awards||Nordic Game of the Year – Small Screen||Nominated|
|Nordic Game of the Year||Nominated|
|April 12, 2018||British Academy Games Awards||Evolving Game||Nominated|
- Grundberg, Sven; Rossi, Juhana (March 8, 2013). "Finland's Newest Hit Maker: Supercell". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Renaudin, Clement (February 8, 2016). "Supercell's mix of TCG and MOBA Clash Royale set for global release in March". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Squires, Jim (January 4, 2016). "Clash of Clans Goes MOBA in Clash Royale". Gamezebo. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Hodapp, Eli (March 2, 2016). "'Clash Royale' Review – A Hybrid of Card Games, RTS, MOBA, and Awesome". TouchArcade. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- (March 2, 2016). Clash Royale: Now available EVERYWHERE!. Supercell. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Saxena, Himalaya (January 4, 2016). "Released* Release Date of Clash Royale in US, UK and other countries -Gammerson". Gammerson. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "Supercell's Clash Royale reaps $1 billion in its first year | GamesBeat". venturebeat.com. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- on YouTube
- Hack, July 7, 2016 Clash Royale; Reply, Cheats (July 7, 2016). "Clash Royale Tournament Updates: What to Know". Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Dotson, Carter (December 15, 2016). "'Clash Royale' Crown Duel Challenge Rolling Out Now". TouchArcade. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- King, Matthew (March 15, 2017). "'Clash Royale': Night Witch, Bats and Heal Cards Coming after Bandit on March 24; Special Draft Challenge Live Next Week". Telegiz. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Alwani, Rishi (January 4, 2016). "Clash of Clans Developer Supercell Releases New Game, Clash Royale". Gadgets 360. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- (February 16, 2016). Android Soft Launch Announcement!. Supercell. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Takahashi, Dean (March 2, 2016)."Clash Royale is already the top-grossing iOS game in the U.S.". Venture Beat. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Clash Royale for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- Slater, Harry (March 2, 2016)."Clash Royale". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Plafke, James (March 2, 2016). "Clash Royale is the best game its own developer doesn’t want you to play". Geek.com. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Clash Royale – Crown Championship – Global Series". crownchampionship.clashroyale.com. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "World Finals – Clash Royale". crownchampionship.clashroyale.com. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "Mexicano vence mundial de Clash Royale e leva prêmio de quase R$ 500 mil". TechTudo (in Portuguese). Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Open Qualifiers for the Clash Royale League Challenge Have Begun". Paste. Retrieved May 30, 2018.
- on YouTube
- "Clash Royale : Best Game in Google Play Awards 2016". Clash Advisor. June 1, 2016. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Nominees - The Game Awards 2016". The Game Awards 2016. Archived from the original on November 14, 2015. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- Wagonut (April 7, 2017). "Clash Royale wins BAFTA eSports award". MoEsport. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- "Clash Royale". International Mobile Gaming Awards. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- "13th IMGA nominated and awarded games". International Mobile Gaming Awards. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Inside, Overwatch and Firewatch lead GDC 2017 Choice Awards nominees! - GDC News". GDC News. January 4, 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "2017 Gaming Awards Nominees". SXSW Gaming. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- "Clash Royale picks up two Game of the Year accolades at 2017 Finnish Game Awards". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "2017 NG Awards nominees: GotY x 2 • Nordic Game Community". Nordic Game Community. April 20, 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- Makedonski, Brett (April 12, 2018). "BAFTA names What Remains of Edith Finch its best game of 2017". Destructoid. Retrieved April 13, 2018.