Classic Hits (Westwood One)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Slogan||"The Greatest Hits Of All Time"/"The Best Music Ever Made"|
|Heart & Soul of Rock n Roll, Pure Gold, Oldies Radio|
Classic Hits Radio is a 24-hour Classic Hits radio network. Classic Hits Radio is heard in over 100 markets around the U.S. Classic Hits Radio, formerly known as "Pure Gold" and "Oldies Radio", plays a selection of well-tested pop and rock hits from the late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. "Classic Hits Radio" is one of two satellite oldies formats offered by Cumulus Media Networks, the other being Scott Shannon's "The True Oldies Channel," which is automated and voice-tracked entirely by Shannon and features an older playlist of music.
Nationally recognized DJs include Maria Danza, Steve Gunn, Smokin'Kevan Browning, Randy Fuller, Dwayne Dancer "Late Night" Larry King (unrelated to the talk show host) and, before his death, Dave Michaels. As of September 16, 2011, it is distributed by Cumulus Media Networks and is one of the original Satellite Music Network stations.
Classic Hits repeating features include "Instant Winner Thursday", "The Top 5 Countdown" and themed weekends every weekend.
Cumulus purchased Dial Global/Westwood One in 2013. In July 2014 "Cumulus Classic Hits", formerly "Pure Gold" merged with Dial Global/Westwood One Classic Hits, as did most formats, that were duplicated between the two syndicators. Most Cumulus Classic Hits personalities were displaced. Dewayne Dancer remains as part of the "new" "Classic Hits", but in an over night role. Maria Danza and Smokin Kevan Browning segued to the new "Good Time Oldies Format", Cumulus replacement for Scott Shannon's cancelled "True Oldies" format. GTO is the 1st joint Programming effort at the network level between Cumulus and Westwood One, debuting in 75 U.S. markets, including Tampa Bay Fl., Phoenix Az. and Atlanta Ga. (Danza later returned to Classic Hits on a weekend evening shift). Steve Gunn and Larry King departed the company, while Randy Fuller and Barbara Summers remain as weekend hosts.
Sample Hour of Programming
- "Stayin' Alive" - The Bee Gees
- "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles
- "Proud Mary" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
- "Don't You Worry 'bout A Thing" - Stevie Wonder
- "You're So Vain" - Carly Simon
- "Fooled Around and Fell In Love" - Elvin Bishop
- "I Got You (I Feel Good)" - James Brown
- "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt
- "Baby I Need Your Loving" - Johnny Rivers
- "Lowdown" - Boz Scaggs
- "Rock Your Baby" George McCrae
- "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations
- "Keep It Comin' Love" - KC and the Sunshine Band
- "The Letter" - The Box Tops
- "Spirit in the Sky" - Norman Greenbaum
- "Margaritaville" - Jimmy Buffett