Classics in the Key of G
|Classics in the Key of G|
|Studio album by Kenny G|
|Released||June 28, 1999|
|Kenny G chronology|
Classics in the Key of G is the first cover album by saxophonist Kenny G. It was released by Arista Records on June 28, 1999, and reached number 1 on the Contemporary Jazz Albums chart, number 13 on the Internet Albums chart, number 17 on the Billboard 200 and number 27 on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
- "Summertime" (featuring George Benson) (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:46
- "The Look of Love" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) - 5:32
- "What a Wonderful World" (lead vocal: Louis Armstrong) (George David Weiss, Robert Thiele) - 3:03
- "Desafinado" (Antonio Carlos Jobim, Newton Mendonça) - 5:52
- "In a Sentimental Mood" (Duke Ellington, Manny Kurtz, Irving Mills) - 4:56
- "The Girl from Ipanema" (lead vocal: Bebel Gilberto) (Antonio Carlos Jobim, Norman Gimbel, Vinícius de Moraes) - 4:17
- "Stranger on the Shore" (Acker Bilk, Robert Mellin) - 3:09
- "Body and Soul" (Edward Heyman, Frank Eyton, Johnny Green, Robert Sour) - 7:20
- "'Round Midnight" (Bernie Hanighen, Cootie Williams, Thelonious Monk) - 6:26
- "Over the Rainbow/ The Girl from Ipanema (Instrumental)" (E.Y. "Yip" Harburg, Harold Arlen / Antonio Carlos Jobim, Norman Gimbel, Vinícius de Moraes) - 7:49
Information taken from this source.
|US Adult Contemporary|
|1999||"What a Wonderful World"||#22|
The third track features G's music overdubbed on Louis Armstrong's original recording. This move was criticized by musicians such as Pat Metheny and Richard Thompson, who were angered by what they perceived as arrogance on G's part to use a song by Louis Armstrong for personal gain.
|This 1990s jazz album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|