Classroom of the Elite
|Classroom of the Elite|
Cover of the first volume featuring Horikita (left) and Ayanokoji (right).
(Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e)
|Written by||Shōgo Kinugasa|
|Illustrated by||Shunsaku Tomose|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||May 25, 2015 – present|
|Written by||Shōgo Kinugasa|
|Illustrated by||Yuyu Ichino|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||January 27, 2016 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Written by||Aoi Akashiro|
|Music by||Ryō Takahashi|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, TVA, KBS, SUN, TVQ, BS11|
|Original run||July 12, 2017 – September 27, 2017|
Classroom of the Elite (ようこそ実力至上主義の教室へ Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e, lit. "Welcome to the Classroom of the Supreme Ability Doctrine") is a Japanese light novel series written by Shōgo Kinugasa and illustrated by Shunsaku Tomose. A manga adaptation by Yuyu Ichino began its serialization in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive on January 27, 2016. An anime television series adaptation by Lerche aired from July to September 2017.
In the not too distant future, the Japanese government has established the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing School, dedicated to instruct and foster the generation of people that will support the country in the future. The students are given a high degree of freedom in order to closely mimic real life.
The story follows the perspective of Kiyotaka Ayanokōji, a quiet and unassuming boy who is not good at making friends and would rather keep his distance. He is a student of D-class, which is where the school dumps its inferior students. After meeting Suzune Horikita and Kikyō Kushida, two other students in his class, Ayanokoji's situation begins to change.
- Kiyotaka Ayanokouji (綾小路 清隆 Ayanokōji Kiyotaka)
- Voiced by: Shōya Chiba (Japanese); Justin Briner (English)
- The main protagonist who is an unmotivated student and is very poor at communicating with others. While trying to become friends with others, he often fails due to his lack of interest and charm. His grades are intentionally average and he is very conscious on how he spends his points, however it is revealed that he has the academic aptitude and true intellect to make it to the top class if he wanted to, but for some reason he aimed to get into Class D. It was mentioned by the Student Council President that he intentionally got 50 out of 100 points for every subject on the entrance exam. Despite not exhibiting any kind of fitness regimen, he's incredibly well-built and is seen very skilled in martial arts, such that he held his own on a fight against the Student Council President. He is also shown to be extremely intelligent as he comes up with various grand schemes that fools and plays almost everyone in the school. In a flashback it is shown that he was part of an experiment performed by an unknown organization which is owned by his father, in an unknown facility called the "White Room" that forced children to participate in an immense battery of tests designed to raise and train children into teens with almost superhuman-like capabilities and he's shown to be the only known survivor. He prefers to stay in the background and uses other people as means of implementing his plans whenever it's necessary. He is considered as an unreliable narrator due to his mysterious background and lies.
- Suzune Horikita (堀北 鈴音 Horikita Suzune)
- Voiced by: Akari Kitō (Japanese); Felecia Angelle (English)
- She is an aloof, cold-hearted and an unfriendly student, who is considered to be an intellectual beauty that sits next to Ayanokoji in class and is also careful about how she spends her points. Like Ayanokoji, she has trouble communicating with others but unlike him she thinks friends are unnecessary. Ayanokoji is the only student in her class that she talks to and confides in him as she seems to express interest in his insightful yet mysterious personality and has her doubts about him and his mysterious past, believing that he is hiding much more than he actually lets on. She also has an older brother who studies in the same school as her and is the school's Student Council President who distances himself from her due to the embarrassment that she is placed in Class D. She also has knowledge of martial arts, as she was seen fighting Mio Ibuki, a C-Class student and held her own against her, despite being ill at the time. Her attitude seemingly improves for the better as she acknowledges her own hypocrisy by admitting that she is no different than her classmates when faced with a serious down-sided problem.
- Kikyou Kushida (櫛田 桔梗 Kushida Kikyō)
- Voiced by: Yurika Kubo (Japanese); Sarah Wiedenheft (English)
- A popular girl who is also in Class D that has a seemingly nice and cheerful personality and is also looking to befriend everybody at the school. However, behind her cheerful and caring facade, she has an alternate personality that is violent, cold-blooded, detestable and manipulative. She also shows deep resentment towards Horikita, and yet she wants to get closer to her for an unknown reason. In the light novels, she was revealed to be from the same middle school of Horikita and assumed that Horikita found out about her dark past.
- Airi Sakura (佐倉 愛里 Sakura Airi)
- Voiced by: M.A.O (Japanese); Leah Clark (English)
- A girl who is into photography, that was placed in Class D, due to her fear and nervousness, causing her to have difficulties communicating and interacting with others. She hates standing out and likes to take modelling pictures. She was originally revealed to be gravure idol, until her life was in danger of being chased by a stalker who worked in a convenience store and attempted to assault her, causing her unable to stand out anymore for the rest of her life. Fortunately, Ayanokoji and Honami came on time, saving her life and the stalker was arrested by the police, thanks to the security cameras located around the campus and the GPS tracking system on each students' school cellphones. She then feels deeply indebted to Ayanokoji, causing her to have an admiration for him on saving her while inspiring her with his encouraging words of wisdom to always do more than she would have done.
- Kei Karuizawa (軽井沢 恵 Karuizawa Kei)
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (Japanese); Bryn Apprill (English)
- One of the top students in Class D, who has character issues. In the light novels, she seems to form a very close trusting bond with Ayanokoji and notices that he has a dark mysterious side that he doesn't want people to know about where Ayanokoji is shown to trust her more so than others and in volume 6 of the light novel, she is shown to develop a crush on Ayanokoji. Further in volume 6 of the light novel, she is the only one who remembered and celebrated his birthday causing Ayanokoji to hesitate on deleting her messages, which he usually does and he also learned of her birthday and decided to do the same for her. Ayanokoji and her also call each other by their first names, also showing how very close they are. Her developing crush on him was also shown, as she was seen very jealous of Maya Satō, due to the latter's confession to Ayanokoji.
- Yousuke Hirata (平田 洋介 Hirata Yōsuke)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka (Japanese); Dallas Reid (English)
- The top student in Class D. His grades are worthy of being in a higher class, but he ended up getting stuck in Class D for reasons yet to be explained.
- He is in a "relationship" with Karuizawa, although in the light novels this was revealed to be a ruse and a cover up so that they don't get bullied in school. It was also hinted in the light novels, that Hirata begins to suspect Ayanokoji for his manipulations and usage of others while taking advantage of transpired events through various grand schemes that gradually ends up helping Class D and doing it so subtly behind the shadows unbeknownst to others who are seemingly unaware of what goes on.
- Rokusuke Kouenji (高円寺 六助 Kōenji Rokusuke)
- Voiced by: Toshiki Iwasawa (Japanese); Christopher Wehkamp (English)
- He is a narcissist, who is from a prestigious well-known family of scholars, as he is equipped with great physical abilities and intelligence, however he ended up in Class D for being too arrogant and egotistical, making him unable to work with others. Unlike his fellow students, however who are struggling to obtain enough points, he doesn't worry about it since his rich family can simply buy the necessary points needed for his use.
- Ken Sudou (須藤 健 Sudō Ken)
- Voiced by: Eiji Takeuchi (Japanese); Brandon McInnis (English)
- One of the "3 Fools of Class D", who is also a basketball team player and is in the basketball club. Although he has the best athletic ability compared to his classmates, he has a very poor intelligence, a short temper and thin skin like personality making him easily angered and provoked, which it weren't for Horikita and Ayanokoji's intervention, would have gotten him expelled twice. His personality was seen to improve a little though he still acts rough towards others and he is seen to have feelings for Horikita. In the light novels, he is shown to be quite close to Ayanokoji and it is revealed that both are actually close friends. In the sport festival in volume 5 of the light novel, he seems to have formed a close bond with Horikita.
- Kanji Ike (池 寛治 Ike Kanji)
- Voiced by: Daiki Abe (Japanese); Aaron Dismuke (English)
- One of the "3 Fools of Class D", who has poor intelligence, though his communication skills and experiences in camping are excellent. He is also shown to have a crush on Kushida.
- Haruki Yamauchi (山内 春樹 Yamauchi Haruki)
- Voiced by: Mutsuki Iwanaka (Japanese); Travis Mullenix (English)
- One of the "3 Fools of Class D", who has lying tendencies. He also has a crush on Kushida, but has feelings for Sakura as well. In the spin-off volume of the light novel he confesses to Sakura but gets rejected due to her inability and uneasiness to cope with the uncomfortable situation and her feelings for Ayanokoji.
- Teruhiko Yukimura (幸村 輝彦 Yukimura Teruhiko)
- Voiced by: Tsubasa Gōda (Japanese); Josh Grelle (English)
- A boy with great intelligence. Despite his academic ability, his poor athletic ability landed him in Class D. In the light novel volume 6, he is also a member of Ayanokoji's study group.
- Kakeru Ryuuen (龍園 翔 Ryūen Kakeru)
- Voiced by: Masaaki Mizunaka (Japanese); Eric Vale (English)
- He is depicted as the antagonist of the series, and a student under Class C who has a reputation of being a feared delinquent, where he rules the class like a mafia boss, and has a group of henchmen who does his dirty work.
- Mio Ibuki (伊吹 澪 Ibuki Mio)
- Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu (Japanese); Jamie Marchi (English)
- She is a student under Class C who despise Ryūen's dirty reputation as an infamous delinquent. Not only does she possess excellent academic ability, but her physical ability is also not to be underestimated. She is skilled in combat, having the knowledge of several martial skills that can rival those of many martial artists. Mio battles Horikita, to confirm if she was the arsonist, and reveals that she is the mastermind of stealing Horikita's key card, then she defeats her. She is then seen handing the stolen key card to Ryuen who requested it to be stolen. She was revealed to be a spy for her class, sent to infiltrate Class D on Ryuen's orders, however she was manipulated, controlled and played by Ayanokoji along with both Ryuen and Katsuragi from Class A causing their plan to fall in shambles earning their class a huge loss.
- Honami Ichinose (一之瀬 帆波 Ichinose Honami)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese); Kristi Rothrock (English)
- She is one of the Top students of B-Class who is very much admired and respected. However, unlike most other students who despise students from the lower classes, she is down-to-earth and does not mind being friends with some of them like, Kushida and Ayanokouji. She obtained a huge amount of private points through unknown means, and seemed secretive about it, causing Ayanokoji to wonder about how she got that much points. She also expressed her interest on Ayanokoji's true abilities and true intelligence by even wondering about it, more specifically on why he hides his true talents from others. In the light novels, she becomes a member of the Student Council and she is seen to have a close relationship with Ayanokoji, whom she occasionally teases and flirts with, as they are seen to get along very well and work well together. Ayanokoji, however spread rumors about her huge amount of points, which was revealed to be legally obtained by her, to trap Kakeru Ryūen from Class C, though the latter caught on to it and decided to play along in order to find the true mastermind of Class D.
- Ryuuji Kanzaki (神崎 隆二 Kanzaki Ryūji)
- Voiced by: Akihisa Wakayama
- He is a student from B-Class, who is seen to be quite intelligent and friendly, and alongside Ichinose, didn't mind lending a helping hand to Ayanokoji on proving Sudo's innocence in the C-Class's violent incident case.
- Alice Sakayanagi (坂柳 有栖 Sakayanagi Arisu)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese); Trina Nishimura (English)
- She is the main leader of A-Class, who appears to be disabled, causing her to walk with a cane. She is shown to be highly intelligent, as she seems to have a very high knowledge of the school rules and the S-system. Ryuen from Class C mentions how she is still acting as the "Queen" of the school for being in Class A. There is an intense rivalry between her and Ryuen alongside their respective classes as she thinks his challenges against Class A are interesting but ultimately futile. In volume 5 of the light novel, she was revealed to know about the "White Room" and cryptically reveals that she knows Ayanokoji, where she met him 8 years and 243 days ago in the past. According to her, she knows him very well and everything about his mysterious past though he denied knowledge of her and doesn't seem to remember her.
- Kouhei Katsuragi (葛城 康平 Katsuragi Kōhei)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese); Jarrod Greene (English)
- He is an intelligent man, and the most well-respected student of A-Class, who takes on the full responsibility of his class. For some reason, he has a troubled past on being rejected into joining the student council for his unknown failures.
- Manabu Horikita (堀北 学 Horikita Manabu)
- Voiced by: Yūichirō Umehara (Japanese); David Matranga (English)
- He is Suzune Horikita's older brother, and the school's student council president. He is also highly respected to the upper echelons of the school student society. However, he despises Suzune for being in the lower class as her presence threatens his reputation in the student council. Manabu is shown to be a very serious and intelligent man, who is attached to his role as the Student Council President and is also shown to be quite skilled in martial arts as seen in his skirmish with Ayanokoji.
- Akane Tachibana (橘 茜 Tachibana Akane)
- Voiced by: Konomi Kohara
- She is the Student Council Secretary, who is seen with the school's Student Council President Manabu, almost all the time and has feelings for Manabu.
- Sae Chabashira (茶柱 佐枝 Chiyabashira Sae)
- Voiced by: Rina Satō (Japanese); Jennifer Alyx (English)
- She is the homeroom teacher for Class D, who is very cold and apathetic to her own class though she can be bribed for the right price where she was willing to sell a grade to a student who is in danger of being expelled. She is the only one who knows the truth behind Class D's designation for the students with defective aspects and Ayanokōji's hidden potential as the "most defective" and excellent student in D-class. She also threatened him to have him expelled if he doesn't ascend to A-Class immediately, for holding back his true ability and true intelligence. It is unknown why she wants him to ascend to a higher class. One possible reason could be that she probably feels like he is wasting his true talents by being in the lowest class instead of being at the top class which he deserves. She later on revealed to Ayanokoji that it was his father's wish to be expelled and that his father stated that Ayanokoji will choose expulsion of his own free will.
- Chie Hoshinomiya (星之宮 知恵 Hoshinomiya Chie)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
- She is the homeroom teacher in Class B, with a reputation for being a klutz and a drunkard. In spite of her quirks she appears to be insightful as she recognized that Kiyotaka Ayanokōji, a student from Class D, whom she never met may present a problem for her class based on what Ichinose told her about him. In the light novels, she has a formed a very unique close bond with Ayanokoji, whom she teases and even flirts with him despite being a teacher, though he is shown to be a little put-off by her eccentric behaviour.
The series is written by Shōgo Kinugasa with illustrations by Shunsaku Tomose and has been published under Media Factory's MF Bunko J imprint since 2015; as of May 2018, eight volumes and two short volumes have been released. Seven Seas Entertainment has licensed the series.
An anime television series adaptation was announced and aired from July 12 to September 27, 2017 on AT-X and other channels. Seiji Kishi and Hiroyuki Hashimoto directed the anime at Lerche. Aoi Akashiro handled the series composition, while Kazuaki Morita designed the characters. The opening theme "Caste Room" is performed by ZAQ, and the ending theme "Beautiful Soldier" is performed by Minami. Crunchyroll streamed the series. Funimation has licensed the series in North America.
|No.||Title[a][b]||Original air date|
|1||"What is Evil? Whatever Springs from Weakness."|
"Was ist schlecht? - Alles, was aus der Schwäche stammt."
"Aku to wa Nani ka Yowasa kara Shōzuru Subete no Mono da." (悪とは何か――弱さから生ずるすべてのものだ。)
|July 12, 2017|
|Kiyotaka Ayanokoji begins attending school in class 1-D at the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, an institution established by the government for training Japan's best students. Class D homeroom teacher Sae Chabashira explains the point system where everybody gets a monthly allowance of 100,000 points that they can use as money at local shops with one point equaling one yen, and also warns the students that they are judged on merit. Ayanokoji begins navigating the system being careful about how he spends his points, while getting to know the gregarious Kikyo Kushida and then attempting to make peace with his aloof class fellow Suzune Horikita. In an attempt to help Kushida become friends with Horikita, Ayanokoji brings her to a cafe where only girls meet, having secretly arranged for Kushida and two other classmates to be there. However, Horikita sees through the plan and leaves disgustedly. As the month of April passes, the majority of class D lavishly spends their points and slacks off in class without any reprimand, causing Ayanokoji to be suspicious. On May 1, the class D students are surprised to find out that they did not get any allowance, and Chabashira explains that their allowance depends on merit. Having ignored their studies, the class receives no points for the month.|
|2||"It Takes a Great Talent and Skill to Conceal One's Talent and Skill."|
"C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habileté."
"Sainō o Kakusu noni mo Takuetsu Shita Sainō ga Iru." (才能を隠すのにも卓越した才能がいる。)
|July 19, 2017|
|Chabashira explains how the system works at this school. The four first-year classes are all ranked by merit, and class D has the opportunity to be promoted to class C with strong performances on exams. She also warns that with the current situation, anybody who fails one more exam will be expelled. Now fully aware of the system, everybody takes their studies more seriously except for the three biggest idiots of the class: Ken Sudo, Kenji Ike, and Haruki Yamauchi. Horikita treats Ayanokoji to an expensive lunch to discuss these matters, and asks his help in bringing those three idiots aboard her study group in the library. Ayanokoji and Kushida succeed in getting them to come, but they leave immediately because of Horikita's behavior, while Sudo lets everybody know that he wants to play pro basketball, so he has no interest in studies. That night, Ayanokoji overhears Horikita talking to her brother, the Student Council President, Manabu, and Manabu attacks her over a disagreement about her misplaced view that isolation is independence. Ayanokoji intervenes, and Manabu then reveals that he scored a 50 on every test and asks if it was coincidence or not. The midterm exams come, and class D as a whole performs very well with some scoring the highest among the first years in the school.|
|3||"Man is an Animal that makes Bargains: No Other Animal does This - No Dog exchanges Bones with Another."|
"Ningen wa Torihiki o Suru Yuiitsu no Dōbutsu de Aru. Hone o Kōkan Suru Inu wa Inai" (人間は取引をする唯一の動物である。骨を交換する犬はいない)
|July 26, 2017|
|Class D gets the results of their last exam and everybody passes except for Sudo, who missed the passing threshold by one point. The grades were the result of Ayanokoji spending 15,000 points to buy old exam questions from an upperclassman three days prior to the exams. He explains that none of this is against school rules. Later, Ayanokoji approaches Chabashira asking her whether equality exists, and she answers that it does not and Ayanokoji agrees with. Ayanokoji and Horikita then spend their points to increase Sudo's test score by one point so that his expulsion can be rescinded. That night, Kushida organizes a little party in Ayanokoji's room. After the party, Kushida leaves but forgets her cellphone and Ayanokoji follows her to return it but in the process ends up finding out about the jealous, nasty and irascible side of her personality. Having discovered her secret personality, Kushida demands Ayanokoji to keep it a secret or else she will accuse him of raping her by having him forcefully touch her breast and using the fingerprints as evidence.|
|4||"We Should not be Upset that Others Hide the Truth from Us, When We Hide it from Ourselves."|
"Il ne faut pas s'offenser que les autres nous cachent la vérité, puisque nous nous la cachons si souvent à nous-mêmes"
"Tanin ga Shinjitsu o Inpei Suru Koto ni Taishite, Wareware wa Okoru Beki Denai. Nazenara, Wareware mo Jishin kara Shinjitsu o Inpei Suru no de Aru kara" (他人が真実を隠蔽することに対して、我々は怒るべきでない。なぜなら、我々も自身から真実を隠蔽するのであるから。)
|August 2, 2017|
|July 1 arrives and class D's point distribution is put on hold due to an incident the previous day involving Sudo and three basketball teammates from Class C. Sudo was attacked and fought back in self-defense. However, due to his poor reputation, he is going to be held liable unless the class can find a witness to clear his name before the hearing next week, which would, consequently, result in the class receiving no points for the month. In an attempt to manipulate the case to their favor, the three class C attackers secretly request classmate Kakeru Ryuen to beat them up. With the help of Class B, the Class D posts messages asking for witnesses of the incident. Horikita tells Ayanokoji and the others that Airi Sakura was there and witnessed the incident with her camera. That night, Ayanokoji and Kushida discuss how, in a murder case, if one of the suspects is a known murderer, while the other is a law-abiding citizen, if there is a lack of evidence, people are more likely going to believe the law-abiding citizen even if they are guilty. The next day, Sakura is approached for the evidence, and she runs away dropping her camera in the process. Sakura freaks out when she cannot turn on her camera thinking that she broke it and continues running, not wanting to get involved.|
|5||"Hell is other People."|
"l'enfer, c'est les autres"
"Jigoku, Sore wa Tanin de Aru" (地獄、それは他人である。)
|August 9, 2017|
|Sakura asks Ayanokoji and Kushida to accompany her to the electronics store to get the camera repaired, which is covered under warranty. The store clerk asks for Sakura to give out her contact information, and Ayanokoji gives his information instead. Ayanokoji figures out that Sakura is the internet model that has become a big hit recently. At the hearing presided by Manabu Horikita, both classes give their testimonies accusing each other for instigating the fight with the initial ruling going in class C's favor. After staying silent, Suzune (Horikita) speaks up after getting tickled by Ayanokoji. Suzune asks what the circumstances were for the fight and points out that in a three against one fight, it is nearly impossible for injuries that serious to be all Sudo's doing. She then presents Sakura as a witness providing evidence that she was present as she captured the fight going on in the background during a photo shoot. However, the evidence only proves that she was present and does not clear Sudo of any wrongdoing. The class C homeroom teacher Sakagami proposes a compromise to suspend Sudo for two weeks and the three class C students for one week each, but class D rejects it. Realizing that one side is clearly lying, Manabu ends the hearing, saying the he will announce his decision the next day unless admissions or additional evidence is presented. He also mentions that he could expel students as a result.|
|6||"There are Two Kinds of Lies; One concerns an Accomplished Fact, the Other concerns a Future Duty."|
"Il y a deux sortes de mensonges : celui de fait qui regarde le passé, celui de droit qui regarde l'avenir."
"Uso ni wa Nishurui Aru. Kako ni Kan Suru Jijitsujō no Uso to Mirai ni Kan Suru Kenrijō no Uso de Aru." (嘘には二種類ある。過去に関する事実上の嘘と未来に関する権利上の嘘である。)
|August 16, 2017|
|Sakura returns to her dorm to find her mailbox stuffed with photos of her. Taking advantage of the delay in the final ruling that was made possible with Sakura's photo, Ayanokoji and Horikita set up a trap at the stairwell. Kushida sends a fake message to the three class C students ordering them to meet her at the special annex in order to draw them to the stairwell where Ayanokoji and Horikita are waiting and security cameras purchased by Ichinose are secretly installed. This helps them trick Class C students into believing that neither side stands to gain by going forward with this complaint and that the three students stand to get expelled because they told a malicious lie that got the school involved. As a result, the Class C students agree to withdraw the complaint. Ayanokoji notes that the school is testing to see if they can resolve this problem on their own and realizes that Manabu probably knew the whole truth already. Afterwards, Sakura gets assaulted by the electronics store clerk, who is a big fan of her net alter ego Shizuku, and Ayanokoji and Ichinose arrive to save her using the tracking feature in their phones and the security cameras to arrest the clerk. Chabashira and Suzune Horikita are shown to be discussing Ayanokoji where Chabashira mentions Class D is a place for defectives in the school and Ayanokoji is the most defective of all, in her opinion. Manabu approaches Ayanokoji asking him to join the student council, but he refuses while deferring the credit for settling the case to Suzune. Ayanokoji then tells Suzune that while he is willing to help Horikita reach class A, she should pry into his life.|
|7||"Nothing is as Dangerous as an Ignorant Friend; A Wise Enemy is to be Preferred."|
"Rien n'est si dangereux qu'un ignorant ami ; Mieux vaudrait un sage ennemi."
"Muchi na Yūjin hodo Kiken na Mono wa Nai. Kashikoi Teki no Hō ga Yoppodo Mashida." (無知な友人ほど危険なものはない。賢い敵のほうがよっぽどましだ。)
|August 23, 2017|
|Horikita continues to study inside her dorm room through summer vacation. Ayanokoji repeatedly calls her, asking her to go to the pool and she reluctantly agrees. On the night before, a group of class D students consisting of Ayanokoji, Sudo, Ike, Yamauchi, and the operation leader Hideo Sotomura meet up to discuss preparations for peeping on the girls inside the changing room at the pool. During the trip to the pool, Sotomura observes the boys from the school's general storehouse while communicating with the boys using a transceiver and hand signals. After everybody has changed into their swimsuits, Yamauchi sneaks into the women's changing room as a janitor to secretly install the cameras under the pretense of closing it for cleaning. However, he has trouble doing it, forcing Ike has to go in instead. Ryuen and students from class C approach the changing room while Ike is still in. Needing help to escape, Sudo comes to the entrance of the changing room to confront Ryuen in order to stall for time while students from class A arrive to start a fight. Manabu arrives to remind everybody that they are still being judged as long as they are on school grounds. With Sotomura alerting Ayanokoji about the situation, Ayanokoji asks Horikita to stand on top of a diving platform to give a speech about class D ascending to class A someday despite the numerous defects the students have. With the students distracted, Ike escapes the changing room unnoticed. Shortly afterwards, Suzune goes into the changing room to remove the SD cards from the cameras to foil the operation. Ayanokoji explains to Suzune that he used her rather than convince his classmates not to do it because of the possibility that they would have done this behind his back.|
|8||"Abandon All Hope, Ye Who enter Here."|
"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate"
"Nanjira Koko ni Hairu Mono, Issai no Nozomi o Sute yo." (汝等ここに入るもの、一切の望みを捨てよ。)
|August 30, 2017|
|For a class trip, all the first year students are taken on a luxurious cruise ship. Ayanokoji finds out from Chabashira that an unknown man had contacted the school asking for him to be expelled. Chabashira offers to cover for him in order for him to reach class A. Suspecting that she may be manipulating him, he refuses, but she warns him that if he does, he will be expelled and stripped of his freedom. Later, Ayanokoji meets with Horikita to discuss the trip's destination. Ayanokoji explains that he suspects the school is taking them to a boarding house on an island owned by the school for an ulterior motive. Horikita is approached by Ryuen about the security camera set up and tries to manipulate her. Another student from class C, Ibuki, tries to confront Ryuen about something, but is violently rebuffed by Albert. Horikita remarks that class C could be on the verge of collapsing from the inside. Sakayanagi is seen plotting in the background while trying to investigate some students. Later, Sakura calls out Ayanokoji to ask him out on a date, but suddenly changes her mind when he goes to meet her. When Kushida sees them together, Sakura gets embarrassed and leaves. Ayanokoji tries to leave but is stopped by Kushida when she reverts to her darker personality. She tells him that she could sense his wariness of her, which he confirms. She then switches back to her cheerful personality and confesses that she feels lonely when left alone. The next day, the school informs all the students the real reason behind the trip. They are required to take a survival test on a deserted island for a week.|
|9||"Man is Condemned to be Free."|
"L'homme est condamné à être libre."
"Ningen wa Jiyū no Kei ni Shosa rete Iru." (人間は自由の刑に処されている。)
|September 6, 2017|
|Yosuke Hirata explains from the manual how the survival test works. The class gets 300 test points to spend on food and other conveniences, and whatever remains at the end of the week can be exchanged for class points. The class loses test points for injuries, polluting the environment, missing roll calls, and violence towards students in other classes. While class D is determined to tough it out, the girls feel the need to have a portable toilet, the argument aside, Class D is determined to save up points. The splits up looking for a camping spot and Ayanokoji is paired Sakura and Rokusuke Koenji. Ayanokoji loses sight of Koenji, while he and Sakura look for a spot to secure, recalling what Chabashira said about possessing a spot, in that only the designated class leader can do it and each possession that lasts for eight hours gets the team one special test point that is only redeemable for class points. Also, by risking 50 test points, the class gets to guess who the leader from another class is. While looking for a spot, Ayanokoji sees Kohei Katsuragi holding the leader card while talking with classmate Yahiko Totsuka. Class D reconvenes and sets up camp at a spot by the river. Horikita is chosen to be the leader for being responsible and not standing out. While gathering firewood, Ayanokoji, Yamauchi, and Sakura find Mio Ibuki from class C injured, and Kushida decides to give her some of the fruit his classmates found. The class plans a strategy for spending their points as they set a limit of 180 points to buy two meals a day, a toilet, and a tent, and 30 for unforeseen situations. However, the class suffers a setback when Koenji withdraws despite not feeling ill as he claims he is, costing Class D 30 points.|
|10||"Every Man has in Himself the Most Dangerous Traitor of All."|
"Den farligste Forræder blandt alle er den, ethvert Menneske har i sig selv."
"Uragirimono no Naka de Mottomo Kiken'naru Uragirimono wa Nanika to Ieba, Subete no Ningen ga Onore Jishin no Naibu ni Kaku Shite Iru Tokoro no Mono de Aru." (裏切者の中で最も危険なる裏切者は何かといえば、すべての人間が己れ自身の内部にかくしているところのものである。)
|September 13, 2017|
|Ayanokoji and Horikita go to reconnoiter the situation at the other camps. Class B's camp is set up near a waterfall and operates much like class D's camp, but at a better location. Class A's camp is in a cave that is heavily guarded. Horikita attempts to take a peak but she is turned away when Katsuragi summons his security force and warns her that her actions might start a war. Class C's camp is on a beach where, under Ryuen's leadership, all of the points have already been spent and the class treat this test like a vacation. Ryuen did this knowing that they will not be penalized if they had spent all of their test points beforehand. As such, Ryuen punished Ibuki for being disobedient and critical of his leadership. On the night of the third day, somebody breaks into the girls tent at the class D camp and searches Ibuki's bag for her phone. On the fourth day, class D does more reconnaissance to find out who the class leaders are. Ayanokoji and Sakura meet Ichinose at class C's camp only to find out that everybody except Ibuki had withdrawn from the test. On the fifth day, Kei Karuizawa finds out that her underwear was stolen. Class D conducts a bag search, and Yamauchi finds it in Ike's bag. Ayanokoji takes it but then the girls demand a pat-down. When the pat-down search is conducted, Hirata searches Ayanokoji but reports that he couldn't find it. Later he talks with Ayanokoji and decides to take the underwear knowing that his reputation would be damaged the least for being the culprit because Karuizawa is his girlfriend.|
|11||"What People Commonly call Fate is Mostly their Own Stupidity."|
"Was aber die Leute gemeiniglich das Shicksal nennen sind meistens nur ihre eigenen dummen Streiche."
"Shikashi gaishite Hitobito ga Unmei to Yobu Mono wa, Taihan ga Jibun no Gukō ni Suginai." (しかし概して人々が運命と呼ぶものは、大半が自分の愚行にすぎない。)
|September 20, 2017|
|In response to the underwear theft incident, trust within class D erodes and the girls of class D decide to separate the boys and girls camps. Ibuki approaches Ayanokoji asking his opinion about who the thief is and he trusts her while telling her that Sudo suspects her. That night, Horikita and Ayanokoji sit by a campfire, and Ayanokoji notices that Horikita has been sick during the entire test. Horikita had been resting in her room during the cruise in order to recover from her illness and is determined to tough it out. On the next day, class D gathers food in advance of a rainstorm. While fishing in the river, Ayanokoji asks Horikita to show him her leader card in order to confirm whether the card Katsuragi was holding is real. However, he is still unsure after seeing it. Yamauchi approaches Horikita and puts mud on her hair prompting Horikita to throw him to the ground. While Horikita goes off to wash the mud off her hair, somebody steals her leader card and she secretly lets Ayanokoji know about it. Shortly afterwards, somebody starts a fire at camp burning the survival test manual leading to even more trust issues within class D. Suspecting that this was Ibuki's doing because she is from another class, Horikita searches for her and finds out that she stole the card. Ibuki attacks Horikita despite the rules prohibiting violence against students from other classes knowing that as long as nobody witnesses the fight, she can get away with it. Weakened by her illness, Horikita is easily beaten by Ibuki and brings the key card to some mysterious student who had, apparently, asked for it.|
|12||"Genius Lives Only One Story Above Madness."|
"Das Genie wohnt nur eine Etage höher als der Wahnsinn"
"Tensai to wa, kyōki yori mo 1-kaisō-bun dake ue ni sunde iru mono no koto de aru." (天才とは、狂気よりも1階層分だけ上に住んでいる者のことである。)
|September 27, 2017|
|Ibuki notifies Katsuragi through a ham radio that she has secured Horikita's leader card as class A and class C are revealed to be working together. With Horikita's illness getting worse, Ayanokoji has her withdraw from the test. On the final day, the students clean up their campground and the classes guess the leaders, with class B opting not to make any guesses. At the assembly, Ryuen reveals that he secretly forged a pact with Katsuragi to transfer 200 test points to class A in exchange for either the leader card or a photo of it. Class C quickly spent the remaining 100 points and everybody except for Ryuen, Ibuki, and Kaneda, last of whom was assigned to spy on class B, withdrew from the test. Class C would then guess the leaders: Totsuka for class A, Chihiro Shiranami for class B, and Horikita for class D. The results are revealed, and the winner is class D with 225 points, followed by class B with 140 points, class A with 120 points, and class C with 0 points. The students return to the cruise ship where Alice Sakayanagi reveals that things went according to plan in making everybody mistrust Katsuragi to weaken his leverage over the class as her ally Hashimoto secretly outed class A's leader to Ryuen. Ayanokoji explains to Horikita that he intentionally led Ibuki to stealing the card, and then he had Horikita withdraw so that he could make himself the leader ensuring that class A and class C incorrectly guessed her as the leader. As for guessing the other leaders, he reveals that he only saw the backside of Katsuragi's card and knowing how cautious he was, he deduced that Totsuka was class A's leader. He also was aware that Ryuen had not withdrawn leading him to guessing him as class C's leader as he saw him with the same radio Ibuki was holding. Not wanting to jeopardize class D's alliance with class B, Ayanokoji opted not to name class B's leader. Ryuen reveals that the main motivation for the alliance with class A was he would sign a contract to receive 20,000 points from each student of Class A, every month until graduation. In a meeting with Chabashira, Ayanokoji finds out from her that the man who wanted him expelled was his father. Ayanokoji tells Chabashira that despite his father's attempts to remove him from school, he will continue to defy him. Having told Horikita that she needs allies, Ayanokoji makes it appear that she was the one responsible for class D's victory in order to have others put their trust in her. However Ayanokoji truly does not want anything to do with Horikita or anyone in his class as he only sees them, and humans in general, as tools, and will continue to use and sacrifice others as long as he "wins" in the end.|
- All English episode titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- The episode titles are taken from literature by various European philosophers.
- "Animax Asia Premieres Classroom of the Elite Anime on November 20". Anime News Network. October 24, 2017. Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- "Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e Anime Reveals 21 Cast Members". Anime News Network. May 15, 2017. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Summer 2017 Simuldub on FunimationNow". Funimation. July 13, 2017.
- Muhammad, Dany (2017-08-03). ""Classroom of the Elite" First Impression: Unreliable Narrator in a Deceptive Show". KAORI Nusantara. Archived from the original on 2018-06-11. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Fobian, Peter (2017-09-08). "The Uncertain Rules of Engagement in "Classroom of the Elite"". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on 2017-10-23. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "In the newest #ClassroomOfTheElite: A court case will decide the fate of Class D, and @LeahClarkVA joins as Sakura!". Twitter.com. August 28, 2017.
- "The island survival test begins, but can the #ClassroomOfTheElite survive each other? @JoshGrelle joins as Yukimura". Twitter.com. September 24, 2017.
- "And the cast members joining us: Ryuen - @ericvale Ichinose - @Grandpa_Trout Katsuragi - @BuffaloBuffalo Sakayanagi - @TrinaNishimura". Twitter.com. August 12, 2017.
- "This week on #ClassroomOfTheElite: A cruise, a conspiracy, and a confession of love. @marchimark joins as Ibuki". Twitter.com. September 17, 2017.
- "I play Ichinose in Classroom of the Elite, new ep today at 4 ET on http://Funimation.com! Thank you @soymilkpudding for this opportunity!". Twitter.com. August 12, 2017.
- "I'm playing Katsuragi! He is definitely a teenager and NOT a man in his 30s". Twitter.com. August 12, 2017.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (July 8, 2018). "Seven Seas Adds Railgun, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Orphen Spinoff Manga; 3 Light Novel Series". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- "Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime in July". Anime News Network. May 1, 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e Anime Reveals Ending Theme Artist, July 12 Debut". Anime News Network. June 12, 2017. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "Yōkoso Jitsuryoku Shijō Shugi no Kyōshitsu e TV Anime Reveals Staff". Anime News Network. May 8, 2017. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- "Classroom of the Elite Anime's Promo Video Previews ZAQ's Theme Song (Updated)". Anime News Network. June 24, 2017. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream A Centaur's Life, Classroom of the Elite, Restaurant to Another World, Saiyuki Reload Blast Anime". Anime News Network. June 27, 2017. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- "Funimation Reveals Summer Simuldub Lineup". Anime News Network. July 2, 2017. Retrieved July 2, 2017.