|Occupation||Environmentalist, Author, Editor, Lawyer|
|Known for||Editor of the Other India Press|
Claude Alvares is an Indian environmentalist based in Goa, India. He is the editor of the Other India Press publication based in India. The Director of the Goa Foundation, an environmental monitoring action group, Claude Alvares got his PhD from the Technische Hogeschool, Eindhoven, in the Netherlands, in 1976. He lives at Parra, Goa with his wife Padma Sri Norma Alvares, an environmental lawyer and three children, Rahul, Samir and Milind.
He is a member of the Goa Coastal Zone Management Authority of the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF). He is also a member of the Supreme Court Monitoring Committee (SCMC) on Hazardous Wastes constituted by the Supreme Court of India. He is the author of the article 'The Great Gene Robbery', published in the Illustrated Weekly of India in 1986.
- Homo faber: technology and culture in India, China and the West from 1500 to the present day, The Hague [etc.]: Nijhoff, 1980, New edition: The Hague [etc.]: Nijhoff, 2007 - Indian edition: De-Colonizing History: Technology and Culture in India, China and the West: 1492 to the Present Day, - The Other India Press, Goa, 1991 - Paperback Edition: Decolonizing History: Technology and Culture in India, China and the West 1492 to the Present Day, Apex Press, 3rd edition 1991, ISBN 0-945257-40-6
- "Science", in: The Development Dictionary, ed. by Wolfgang Sachs, London and New Jersey: Zed Books, 1992, pp. 219–232
- Science, development and violence. the revolt against modernity, Delhi [etc.]: Oxford University Press, 1992
- "Goa may be worse than Bellary", Deccan Herald, Bangalore, 2 October 2011
- Another Revolution Fails: Investigation into How and Why India's Operation Flood Project Went Off the Rails, Ajanta Publications 1987, ISBN 81-202-0118-3
- Unwanted guest: Goans v/s Du Pont, Mapusa: Other India Press, 1991
- (with Merryl Wyn-Davis) The Blinded Eye: 500 Years of Christopher Columbus, Other India Press, 1993
- Organic Farming Source Book, Other India Press, 1996
- Fish Curry and Rice - a source book on Goa, its ecology and life-style, 4. rev. ed., Mapusa: Goa Foundation, 2002, ISBN 81-85569-48-7
- Multiversity: Freeing Children from the Tyranny of Schooling, Other India Press, 2006, ISBN 81-85569-64-9
- "Livemint". Livemint. 9 August 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "About Us". Other India Book Store. 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Goa Foundation". Goa Foundation. 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Green Goa Works". Green Goa Works. 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "India Inspires". India Inspires. 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Claude Alvares (March 1986). "The Great Gene Robbery". Illustrated Weekly of India.
- Official website
- Goa Foundation
- Other India Bookstore
- Green Goa Works
- Organic Farming Association of India
|This biographical article about an Indian activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an environmental activist or conservationist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|