Canadian Screen Award for Best First Feature
The Canadian Screen Award for Best First Feature, formerly the Claude Jutra Award, is a special Canadian film award, presented by the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television to the year's best feature film by a first-time film director.
The award was previously named in memory of Claude Jutra, a Canadian film director who died in 1986. Formerly part of the Genie Awards ceremonies, the Claude Jutra Award was transitioned to be part of the Canadian Screen Awards. Following the February 2016 publication of Yves Lever's biography of Jutra, containing allegations that Jutra had sexually abused underage children during his lifetime, the Academy announced that it was renaming the award to its current name. Québec Cinéma also removed Jutra's name from its Prix Jutra ceremonies on the same day.
The award is a juried prize whose winner is announced in advance, although the prize is formally presented to the winner at the ceremony. To date three films, The Confessional (Le Confessionnal), Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner and Away from Her, have won both the Best First Feature and Best Picture awards in the same year; all three films' directors also won the award for Best Director for the same films.
- Claude Jutra Award entry at The Canadian Encyclopedia.
- Valerie J. Webster (1998). Awards, Honors & Prizes: United States and Canada 1999. Gale Research. p. 3. ISBN 978-0-7876-1501-7.
- "Claude Jutra's name to be pulled from Quebec film awards". Ottawa Citizen, February 17, 2016.
- "Incendies, Barney's Version dominate Genies". CBC News, March 10, 2011.
- "Quebec's Anne Émond wins debut director award". CBC News, February 22, 2012.
- "Blackbird director Jason Buxton wins first-film honour". CBC News. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Le Claude-Jutra à Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais". Le Devoir. January 23, 2014.
- "Academy Names Claude Jutra Award Winner". Broadcaster, February 3, 2015.
- "Jamie M. Dagg wins Claude Jutra Award for Laos-set thriller River". CBC News, February 4, 2016.
- "Ma's 'Old Stone' gets Canadian academy's Best First Feature award". CTV News, February 2, 2017.
- "Sadaf Foroughi's 'Ava' wins best first feature film from Canadian Screen Awards". National Post, January 31, 2018.