Claudia Kemfert in 2011
17 December 1968 |
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Claudia Kemfert (born 17 December 1968 in Delmenhorst, Germany) is a German economics expert in the areas of energy research and environmental protection. She is a Professor of Energy Economics and Sustainability at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin. She heads the Energy, Transportation, and Environment department at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin).
Kemfert has led the Energy, Transportation, and Environment department at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin) since April 2004. From 2004 until 2009 she was Professor for environmental economics at the Humboldt university Berlin. Kemfert studied economic science at the University of Bielefeld, the University of Oldenburg and Stanford University where she graduated in 1998. She had a post-doctoral research visit at the Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) in Milan in 1998.
From January 1999 to April 2000, she led a research group at the Institute for Rational Application of Energies of the University of Stuttgart. As a guest professor she taught at the University of St. Petersburg (2003–2004), University of Moscow (2000–2001) and University of Siena (1998, 2002–2003). From 2000 to 2004 Kemfert had a position as an assistant professor and was the leader of a research group at the University of Oldenburg.
In 2016 Kemfert was appointed by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety as a member of the German Advisory Council on the Environment. Claudia Kemfert advised EU president José Manuel Barroso in a "High level Group on Energy and Climate", and she acts as an external expert for the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC). Claudia Kemfert was member of the High Level Expert Group of the EU Commissioner for Environment and Sustainability and of the Advisory Group on Energy of the European Commission (DG Research). Since 2011 she has been a member of the Club of Rome. She furthermore acts as jury member for several significant sustainability prices. She was appointed as shadow minister for Energy in North Rhine-Westphalia (for CDU) in 2012 and as energy expert in Hesse in 2013 (for SPD).
Kemfert got an award from DAAD and was honoured in 2006 as top German Scientist from the German research foundation, Helmholtz and Leibniz Association ("Elf der Wissenschaft"). In 2011 she was awarded with the Urania Medaille as well as B.A.U.M. Environmental Award for Best Science and got the German-Solar-Award and the Adam-Smith-Award for Market-Based Evironmental Policy in 2016.
- Kemfert, C. (2013): The battle about electricity: Myths, power and monopolies, Hamburg: Murmann
- Kemfert, C., Kunz, F., Rosellón, J. (2016): A Welfare Analysis of Electricity Transmission Planning in Germany. In: Energy Policy. 94 (2016) , p. 446-452
- The European Electricity and climate policy - complement or substitute?. In: Environment and Planning / C 25 (2007), 1, S. 115-130,2007
- Haftendorn,C., Holz, F., Kemfert, C. (2012): What about Coal? Interactions between Climate Policies and the Global Steam Coal Market until 2030. In: Energy Policy 48 (2012), pp. 274–283
- Traber, T., Kemfert, C. (2011): Gone with the Wind? Electricity Market Prices and Incentives to Invest in Thermal Power Plants under Increasing Wind Energy Supply. In: Energy Economics (2011), 2 , pp. 249–256
- mit P. T. Truong und T. Brucker: Economic Impact Assessment of Climate Change: A Multi-Gas Investigation. In: The Energy Journal, Multi-Greenhouse Gas Mitigation and Climate Policy, Special Issue 3, S. 441-460, 2006
- Induced Technological Change in a Multi-Regional, Multi-Sectoral, Integrated Assessment Model (WIAGEM): Impact Assessment of Climate Policy Strategies. In: Special Issue of Ecological Economics, Vol. 54/2-3 S. 293-305, 2005
- International Climate Coalitions and trade - Assessment of cooperation incentives by issue linkage. In: Energy Policy, Vol. 32, Iss. 4, S. 455-465, 2004
- Global Economic Implications of alternative Climate Policy Strategies. In: Environmental Science and Policy, Vol. 5, Iss. 5, S. 367-384, 2002
- "Sachverständigenrat für Umweltfragen - Ratsmitglieder - Prof. Claudia Kemfert". www.umweltrat.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Biography". Claudia Kemfert. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "ELF IN DER ERSTEN LIGA - bild der wissenschaft". www.wissenschaft.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Urania Medaille | URANIA Berlin e.V.". www.urania.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Prof. Dr. Claudia Kemfert - Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung und Hertie School of Governance". www.baumev.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "FÖS | Forum Ökologisch-Soziale Marktwirtschaft | © 2017". www.foes.de. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "The Battle about Electricity". www.murmann-verlag.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Claudia Kemfert in the German National Library catalogue
- Claudia Kemfert homepage at the Hertie School of Governance
- Lecture to the Humboldt University Berlin, December 1, 2004 (German)
- Homepage of the Energy, Transportation, and Environment department at German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin) (German)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change IPCC (English)
- Stanford Energy Modelling Forums EMF (English)
- Webpage Claudia Kemfert